Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
23,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I was promising myself that I was going to be very on top of things this year, and you can all tell I am already running late, the pictures won't load, and I have not yet mailed the blocks to the previous winner. So I am striking out on all counts!!! Bear with me, someday I will get it all together.

I am late because I had to run to Roy's barn and check on a baby lamb. Poor thing was born this morning and wouldn't nurse. His Dad was trying to get the mama in a pen with the baby but he is not able to do much as he uses a cane. So Roy's Mom called me to see if I could help. Cale went with me, I held the lamb and worked the gates while he got the mama in the pen. I tried to handmilk her, but wasn't getting anything at all, so we took the baby to the house. It was pretty weak and cold. I might go get it later and bring it here so Lindsey can take care of it for the next few days, just waiting for Roy to get home from work to see what he thinks and to see if the baby even lives. So that is why I am late today, that poor little lamb born on the coldest day of the winter!

I am attempting to download the pictures on my blog. Will let you all know if it ever works.

Now let's get down to business!

Anyone who is a registered member here at Homesteading Today is eligible to participate. Participation is on a first-come, first-served basis.

Our goal each year is to have 4 Forum Quilts.

January, April, July, October will be sign up months and sending out the fabric. Sign up will occur around the 15th of the month.

February, May, August, November will be the months for doing your square and mailing it back.

Winners will be chosen around the 15th of the month in March, June, September and December.

You must sign up for each quilt as it is posted.

When you sign up, I will mail you a piece of fabric. Using this fabric and any other fabric you choose, make a block with a finished size of 12 1/2 inches. Make sure all fabric you use has been washed and dried to prevent shrinkage. Please do not use fabric softener.

After you complete the block, mail it back to me so it arrives on or before March 15th. I will pick a winner on March 15th from all the blocks I have received. NO EXCEPTIONS!!! You should plan to mail your block at least 10 days before the deadline.

After you sign up, please send me a private message with your address. If you have participated in a recent quilt (as in the last year or so)and your address is the same, you do not need to send me your address. Also make sure I have your current address, sometimes people move between participating in the quilts.

When I send the fabric, I will send an information sheet that you can fill out about yourself and attach to your block with a safety pin or stapling works well also. If you want to send a contribution for postage that would be deeply appreciated.

Sign up is for this quilt only, you will have to sign up again for future quilts.

Winner is selected at random. All participants names are placed in a hat and one winner is chosen. If you win... You will receive all the blocks that were sent in for this quilt, along with a yard of fabric to use in your quilt. You are then responsible for purchasing fabric for the next quilt. You will need to wash the fabric, cut at least 25 blocks 12 inch blocks,and send them, plus one additional yard of the fabric, to me before the 7th of April. I will not send the blocks to you until I receive the new fabric. I will take pictures of the blocks and post a link to them when I post the next forum quilt.

Sign-up is for registered forum members on the 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th. Starting on the 19th we will allow you to sign up for your children. Also starting on the 19th if for some reason you were unable to complete a past quilt block, you will once again be allowed to participate. Please only sign up and commit if you are willing to complete a block and return it before the deadline.

OK, let's get started! I will start mailing out fabric next week and will continue mailing until it is all gone. Please let me know if you do not receive your fabric by the end of the month. There may be extra that can be resent. If you have any questions, please post them here and someone can help you.

We have thirty pieces of fabric for this quilt. Keep track of which number you are.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Yay! #1

Thank you for all your hard work Melissa!

·
Jan
723 Posts
I've recently been bitten hard by the quilting bug, so even though I'm a complete beginner I'd like to participate, if you are able to send fabric to Canada? I can Paypal you whatever the extra postage costs.

#8 ?

Jan

·
23,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've recently been bitten hard by the quilting bug, so even though I'm a complete beginner I'd like to participate, if you are able to send fabric to Canada? I can Paypal you whatever the extra postage costs.

#8 ?

Jan
Sure, you can enter, just remember it takes longer to get back to me so mail early. I don't have paypal, most people just send a few stamps or a dollar back with their block, but it is not required.

·
Jan
723 Posts
Sure, you can enter, just remember it takes longer to get back to me so mail early. I don't have paypal, most people just send a few stamps or a dollar back with their block, but it is not required.
That's wonderful, thanks Melissa! :happy: I have some US dollar bills left over from a holiday (my honeymoon, actually) 3 years ago, so I will cover the extra postage that way.

Jan

·
Registered
539 Posts
Good luck with the lamb, it's certainly in the best place it can be since mama can't take care of it. Thanks again for doing the quilt swaps, please add me as # 11 (unless I type too slow) / looking forward to seeing what this one is and maybe get MY stuff together enough to get mine finished early this time :)

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
I would love to be lucky #13. And yes, thanks Melissa for doing so much for us all. Hope the baby lamb makes it,,,,,,,they are just soo sweet. Thanks, Marilyn

1 - 20 of 131 Posts