formula turbo headache

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by jackie c, Oct 28, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I have a 1981 Firebird formula turbo. Just had the trans fixed, now I have a hole and two cracks in the exhaust manifold. My problem is finding parts for this car. Can anyone tell me where I can find parts for this old car. It's in excellent shape as far as the body goes, but the engine is needing an overhaul, new belts, hoses, gaskets etc. I really would like to change out the maifold, but if I can't I'll have to weld it (don't realy want to do this) If any websites are available for old car parts are available could you please post. Thanks in advance.

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You'd think there'd be a real temptation to go to Canadian Tire and buy a set of headers for it! Where in Ontario are you?

3. An 81 does not have to pass any emmissions tests in Ontario... so you can pretty much do whatever you like to it. Headers, no cat converter, etc.

I have no idea how/if the exhaust on that vehicle is connected to the turbo, but I'd do like the other poster mentioned... get a set of headers. If it is a 350c.i. Pontiac engine... many parts from many years of both the Pontiac and Chevy 350 may fit... so finding even stock exhaust manifolds should not be too difficult.

cheers,

4. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I live in the Thunder Bay district. Its a 301. I don't know if headers are a possiblity with the turbo, but I'm not a mechanic. If I can't find parts, or weld it, I'll have to swap the engine. Have any of you ordered parts through Parts America or Auto Zone?

5. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Yep order stuff from Auto Zone all the time they can get you most anything.That is a rare car but not a rare motor as said parts are not hard to come by for that car.Every thing you mentioned will be in stock at Auto Zone.

Wish i could think of the name of the catalog i had once upon a time.Hum only about 5 yrs ago for my 76 Fire Bird (also a 301 engine ;) ).It was free from the company and had almost every part for that car. :D I may remember the name later.If so ill post it for ya.

6. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Check out Hemmings they have ads from every collecter car supplier on the planet.

7. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

Jackie,

You can go to the following link http://car-part.com/ and search for used auto parts. They also include Canada, they will ship directly to you also. If you can't find on that way you may be able to have them welded at a shop that can weld cast iron.

Bob G