Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gene Estep left the mountains of Eastern KY where he was born and raised to go to TX and start a business. He took his young family with him about 11 years ago.

He'd served as a Deacon at our church prior to the move and was serving in another church there. He loved to bass fish and hunt.

On Saturday afternoon, he and a friend were stopped in traffic on I-20 because a truck up ahead had lost a load of bricks on the road and it was being cleaned up.

An 18-wheeler ran into the stopped traffic from behind. Gene and his friend were in a 1-ton Dodge dually and were killed as the truck dragged them off the road and then ran over them. Gene and his friend both died at the scene. 8 other people were injured.

They already had a service at his church in TX. and he's being flown here so that he can be buried. There will be a funeral service at our church on Friday.

He was 43. He has a son who will be a Senior in High School this year. The son was gone on a church mission trip when his Dad was killed. His daughter just got married 2 weeks ago.

He married his wife when they were just out of High School and she was wildly in love with him. This is one of the most tragic deaths that's ever hit many of the people in our church and community.

Prayers for this family would be greatly appreciated. Here's a picture of the truck Gene and his friend were killed in. It's barely recognizable. :Bawling:

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
:( My age.

From what I've seen of truckers I would not be surprised to learn methamphetamine was involved in the accident.

What can you say to the family and friends? Nothing will make this right. All you can do is hobble on. One day it will not hurt as much as it does today.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
Thats very sad. I feel horrible for the families involved..

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
:Bawling: :Bawling:
Praying for all their families and friends.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Whenever I am stopped in traffic for any reason and there are no cars (or only a few cars) stopped behind me I always keep at least two car lengths between myself and the car ahead of me. I also PLAN on what to do in the event I see a car barrelling up behind me and I have my doubts that they are going to stop. During the time I am stopped I have my eyes CONSTANTLY on the rear view mirror to see what is going on behind me.

Now granted, there have been times when I might not have been able to do much to avoid being hit in a situation like this. (no shoulder, up against steep cut in a hill, etc.), however, too many people do not pay attention and plan for the worst when they are stopped for whatever reason. Trucks do this ALL THE TIME and especially on interstate highways, which is why I almost NEVER drive interstates. People are going too fast and not paying attention.

It is unfortunate that this happened. I hope the family has the wisdom to sue the trucking company involved for a lot of money.

donsgal

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just feel sick about all of this. It does point out the fragile hold we have on life.

I pray that everyone will be sure they've recieved the Lord.

PM me if you want to know more about making your own, personal committment to Christ.

Thanks again for the prayers for the bereaved and for our church and community.

·
AFKA ZealYouthGuy
11,454 Posts
suburbanite said:
What can you say to the family and friends? Nothing will make this right. All you can do is hobble on. One day it will not hurt as much as it does today.
Well WE can tell them they have the blessed hope of Christ and will see him again if they are redeemed children of God, having placed their faith in God.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts