Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The yearly maintenance fee on the timeshares has come due again. What?! Timeshares? On a homesteading forum? Tell me about it.

Since my husband and I first started dating, we had discussed getting rid of these timeshares. Problem? His ex still has all the paperwork on them. Every month for more than a year now, he sends an email asking her to please put the paperwork in the mail. Now, how he wants to handle this is his own business. I told him from the beginning that she is HIS ex, and I will do my best not to get involved in any of the aftermath, financial or otherwise, resulting from their divorce.

This yearly fee is just slightly higher than our mortgage payment. We already spend slightly less than that every single month for the payments on them. So this month, we have to come up with two times the amount we spend on our mortgage for stupid timeshares. And we have never even used them. I scrimp and save and pinch pennies, when all this money is flying out the window.

And now that the economy has officially gone down the toilet, there is no hope of making any money whenever we finally can sell them. (Not that I really expected a profit to begin with.) I am just sick and tired of us spending money on this stuff every month, when we don't want, need, or use it. We really don't have this money to throw around.

I am terrified that something is going to happen to my husband's job, and we won't have any money to pay our bills because we have thrown away so much money on these stupid things.

Alright, I kind of feel a little bit better. Not really, but thanks for listening.

Kayleigh

·
Super Moderator
16,781 Posts
Huh?

If he is the legal owner, can't he sent away to the timeshare people for copies? They might be more cooperative than an ex.

·
Columnist, Feature Writer
4,568 Posts
Asking via email is passive. It's time to see her in person, hire an attorney or get a copy from the time share office then do whatever is necessary to eliminate this expense.

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
No, unfortunately WIHH the fees are monthly. I've got a client with one of these things. I'm sure they work for some people who actually use them as vacation properties, but as investments... my experience is they work only for the people selling them.

But WIHH is dead nuts right on one thing: what does the divorce decree say? If it says the properties are to be sold it will give a specific period of time within which that is to happen. If it hasn't happened, she's in contempt of court. If it says she's to turn ownership of the properties over to him and she hasn't, again, she's in contempt of court. And if it says she is supposed to be paying for these things.. why are you?

Pull the paperwork and see what is spelled out... then do it.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
if you dont plan to use it, I would continue paying the purchase cost until it is settled on who it belongs to... but stop paying the maintenance fees. All arrears in the maintenance fees will need to be paid before using the timeshare... if she chooses to use it, she will find out that it is more expensive than she thought

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
No timeshare experience, but I can relate to:

I scrimp and save and pinch pennies, when all this money is flying out the window.
My (new) husband has some stupid debts that keep coming up. Random bills from years ago that are hundreds of dollars keep showing up now that he has a permanent address. Our budget is screwed because of it. I stopped buying local milk because it was $2 more than the stuff from the store and a $300 cable bill shows up in the mail?!? ARG!

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts
madness, do NOT start paying on new (to you) bills that are 2 years old or more without the advice of an attorney. After 2 years most of those bills are written off or discharged.

·
Premium Member
26,565 Posts
True. But if they haven't been attempting to collect for 2 years or more the debt (at least in Ohio) is considered old and uncollectable unless you start paying on it again. It's pretty confusing and messy, that's why I suggested contacting an attorney. And Texas laws may be different.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
No timeshare experience, but I can relate to:

My (new) husband has some stupid debts that keep coming up. Random bills from years ago that are hundreds of dollars keep showing up now that he has a permanent address. Our budget is screwed because of it. I stopped buying local milk because it was $2 more than the stuff from the store and a $300 cable bill shows up in the mail?!? ARG!

Go over to www.creditboards.com and do some research on statute of limitations. Every state has one. If they are past your state's statute, they can forget it. If you pay on them, it reactivates the bill. They can stay on your credit report, or rather his, for seven years after the default date, but then they are obsolete and must be removed, unless you have started paying on them.

Now, you can get into the discussion of right or wrong to not pay, but in today's economy, if you are just scraping buy, your family comes first.

Also another thing about the timeshare payments/maintenance fees, regardless of what the divorce decree says, they can stil come after him for outstanding balances if he signed the loan documents. Now he can after her in court for contempt of the court order but that will most likely be :bdh:

Anyway go to www.creditboards.come, do some research, and get some advice. There are very knowledgeable people over there. Unfortunately, a lot of that knowledge has been learned from experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts