Forgive me father I don't know how to braid

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by TNHermit, Jul 8, 2006.

1. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

I got a nice crop of onions that are drying. But I don't know how to braid them. So I thought maybe someone knew where I can get some of them there netted type bags like they use in the city grocery stores.:) Or some other way to keep them

2. via media

via media Tub-thumper

I think you can put them in the legs of an old pair of stockings, knotting between each one. Starting at the toe, just cut below each knot as you work your way up.

One problem: I'm not sure how many pairs of stockings you have lying around, Herm...and I don't recommend that you go knocking on doors asking young women for their used pantyhose...

/VM

3. straight shot

straight shot Well-Known Member

Any box store will have under garment wash bags, these are made out of a mesh like matierial , and have a draw string you can hang it by. These are fairly cheap,and you can find them by the ironing boards and such.

4. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

A man just can't have any fun no more.!!!!

5. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

I've been able to get a hold of the plastic carriers that you see the breadman and soda people use to carry their products into the store with, they are sturdy, stackable and let air flow through. Before that I would tie 6 or so together with baler twine (what would we do with out that and duct tape) and hang in layers on a door jam in the pantry. Sort through them once a week to remove any rotten ones.

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i use panty hose/ tights too. it keeps the onions from toucing each other, so if one begins to spoil it doesn't spoil them rest of them.

try the good will?

7. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

I've used nylon netting from the fabric store to make storage bags.

Braiding really isn't hard. Here's a good set of instructions (works for onions, too):

How to Make a Garlic Braid
    by Diane Trenhaile

Clove-n-Vine
    17500 SW Oldsville Rd.
    McMinnville, OR 97128

The info in the back of the pamphlet says to send a SASE to them and they will send you information about their products.

8. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll try my hand at explaining. Picture 3 onions laying on table, tops toward you. Let's label them a b and c going from left to right. I take top a, fold it over top b. Now they are in order b a c. Now take top c and fold it over top a. Now they are in order b c a. Keep going back and forth, taking the outside top and fold it over the center, take the other outside and fold it over the center. When you are ready to add more onions lay their tops over the existing ones and keep going. When I have a dozen or two in the braid I make a loop with the top of the braid and tie it with string to give me a loop to hang it by. You can do garlic the same way. If you want longer braids braid some string with the tops to support more weight. cut off the onions from the bottom up as you use them.

9. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

braid them as per Farmer Willy's instructions. It will go easy once you start.
    I used to make a ring and tie it off with a short piece of baling twine (one of the most useful homestead items next to duct tape). Then hang em in the greenhouse or open area for the air to cirulate and cure so the necks won't rot or go soft. Then they can be stored in a dry place after that out of the sun.

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I put all my onions in panty hose too.

11. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Directions with pictures on how to braid garlic, so figure it will work for onions too!

http://www.bloomingfieldsfarm.com/garbrdhow.html

And if you just plain don't want to bother learning, nylon stockings/pantyhose do work very well. Just drop in the onion, tie a knot in the stocking above the onion, drop in another onion, tie another knot.

If you don't want to go door-to-door to asking for them, why not swipe them off clotheslines?

We'll look for the story on Yahoo! News. LOL!

Pony!

12. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

Looked at that excellent site Pony but I am hopeless guess I will have to learn in person someday. We just have been tieing ours with twine in bunches of 6 and hanging them up.