forge

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Blu3duk, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

how many homesteaders have their own forge and/or foundry?

Is your "iron farm" growing?

what might be your best project so far?

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't have one yet but I have the plans for a forge.

3. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

I have a coal forge I haven't used in years. Propane forge makes it so much easier for most of what I do. I can have metal heated and the work done by the time a coal forge would come up to being ready to use. Propane forge has its limitations, but, in my situation, is superior to the coal forge. (I don't do forge welding.)

Ken S. in WC TN

4. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm planning on building a outdoor woodburning stove this fall. I bought 400 fire brick for the job. I plan to have a large firebox. I read Ken Kern's Masonry Stove book. In the book he describes the heat in a good masonry stove to be around 2000 degrees. Is this temperature as high as a forge gets? I know glass melts in the 1500+ range.

5. Bladesmith

Bladesmith Well-Known Member

I have my mini forge from designs in the book "The $50 dollar knife shop" that runs on regular propane tanks (The kind you put on your lantern) Plan on making my two sword forges out of two larger air tanks I have on standby. Once I get the chickens into a new coop and out of whats supposed to be my shop that is. Plan on doing my own sand and lost wax metal casting as well.

6. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

I have and old coal forge bin that was my grandads, but i do not use it as it needs more repair than it cost me to make a new one.

dave Gingery has wriitten some AWESOME material on forges, foundaries and other items and in simple to understand writing too. his books are available from Lindsey Publications which will send you a copy of their catalog or you can veiw it online at

http://www.lindsaybks.com/ of course dont let your wife know you are looking at this catalog or she mite intercept it from the post office! so many books ..so little time to read ...so many dollars to make before I can have them ALL!!!!!

7. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    www.backyardmetalcasting.com has many types of forge plans including step by step instructions. Mine is of an old water tank and will glow 11 gague by 1/2 inch mild steel in about 30 seconds. Great articles on aluminum casting also.

8. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

got 1 made out of an old truck hub been awhile since i fired it up though. i think the last thing i done was wrote the wifes name out of garage door spring, nope, tempered my uncles brick hammer

aw yea heres something i done a few years ago when i was into it a little more that i had forgot about :D http://hometown.aol.com/rmea3434/page/index.htm