Forever Flooring

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bearkiller, Mar 28, 2005.

1. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

debitaber,

For those of us who are "economically challenged", the Forever Floor is a fairly simple method of creating durable flooring. Again, see the new issue of Backwoods Home magazine...also maybe online at www.backwoodshome.com

Basically what they are suggesting is cover the subfloor with roll roofing using roofing that does NOT have the lap edge. Glue it down with plastic roofing cement and then paint it. Two coats of latex paint completely stabilizes the mineral surfacing. More paint makes it better. When it starts to look worn, paint it again. And you can paint a bit here and a bit there and it still looks good.

Mind you I have not tried it, but price seemed more than reasonable. Paint can be had cheap from many companies who collect all returns and mix them giving a not bad looking gray color. China Mart (Wal Mart) sells the stuff for $2/gal. And the author of this said the paint seems to stabilize the roofing, so keep up the paint and the floor lasts forever.

bearkiller

2. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I love it!!! I just printed the article out and can't wait to try it out on my next project. They mention using the same technique for counter tops!!

Thanks for pointing this out.

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

We were talking about doing that type of flooring in the basement... Well, I was talking about it, DH was looking VERY sceptical! The only thing I can see being an issue is keeping the cats off the floor!

We looked at regular concrete paint, but you have to use muriatic acid on the surface first. In a poorly ventilated basement, that just doesn't seem like the best idea...

I fear we may have to break down and call Empire (anyone from the Chicago area? 588-2-3-hundred!) and get something put down so it looks good when we get ready to sell -- which I hope is sooner rather than later!

Pony!

4. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Wow, what an interesting concept! Kinda like the old vintage asphalt linoleum without the price.

5. cchapman84

cchapman84 Well-Known Member

I read the article too! I'm considering it for my soapmaking studio. Seems like a great surface for when you need an attractive but durable surface that isn't too hard on the feet (or the wallet!) I think we'll try it when we build.

6. WolfWalksSoftly

WolfWalksSoftly Level II -Inappropriate

We are going to do this to our floor this summer.(Am anxious to get started)
    I read the article a few weeks ago..funny how a thread was made about it.