Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pump from.jinwa pump company. The wiring is a green and yellow wire is the ground. But the other three are black, blue, and red. The red is marked "a",blue "m", black "c".model # 4sjm3. Anyone?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I clicked the link, but what i need to know is which wire is which. Colors are different than pumps bought here, say at lowes, or something. I need to know which wire is equivalent to which wires. I already can tell the wire on my pump that is green and yellow is the groind. But the blue,black, and red are which. We dont want to wire it to the box it came with as it can only be turned on and off manually from that box. So we want to wire it to a new box so that it will shut off automatically when it is supposed to. But the wires are not your typical colors, so cant figure out how to hook it up.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Do you have a wiring diagram for hooking it to the manual start box?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. That part is easy enough. The problem.is.that particular box makes the pump.where it can ONLY be shut off and on manually at the box. It runs constantly as long as switch is on. We want to use a different box and hook it it will shut off automatically when the holding/pressure (?) tank is where it needs to be. Which we could do if the wires were the standard colors. But i have the green/yellow ground wire (thats easy) and the other three are dark blue, red,black. It was made in japan and i bought it from canada. Neither country's standard wiring color charts show a set up with those three colors together. Trying to figure how they translate here.....cant find a manual online and the manual that comes with the box doesnt tell which wire is which.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My step dad has hooked up pumps before, but has never run across this color combo of wires. We are stumped

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
I posted what I could find earlier to let you read the data plate to know that the pump is a single phase and that only 3 wires would be necessary to run the pump.
As I know nearly all submersible pump motors were until recent years were built by Franklin. Your imported pump is probably a copy. Using an ohm meter and having a USA sourced motor you should IMO be able to measure the resistance of each lead and then do the same to your motor and come to a conclusion of cross referencing which leads to use. Some searching on the internet should located this information also. If that will not work for you find a motor rewinding business and get them to do the task of determining which leads are which.
If this pump is for pumping potable water for a home I would not want a 3 HP draw on my utility bill.

·
Miniature Horse lover
25,219 Posts
I sure would not do that. That other 110 side is hot and will be trickling juice. You sure want to Break Both Sides of a 220 circuit. One would not work on a electric water heater if ONLY One side was stopped.
That other side will have 110 votes. Not a good thing at all on a 220 submersible. Good way to burn it out.
Like if the power goes out and they only energize one side that is Very Hard on ANY 220 pump or anything that WANTS to run when only one side is energized.
If it was a good idea only one wire would go to the pressure switch instead of two Hot Ones, if a 220 unit and most submersible are 220.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
I sure would not do that. That other 110 side is hot and will be trickling juice. You sure want to Break Both Sides of a 220 circuit. One would not work on a electric water heater if ONLY One side was stopped.
That other side will have 110 votes. Not a good thing at all on a 220 submersible. Good way to burn it out.
Like if the power goes out and they only energize one side that is Very Hard on ANY 220 pump or anything that WANTS to run when only one side is energized.
If it was a good idea only one wire would go to the pressure switch instead of two Hot Ones, if a 220 unit and most submersible are 220.
You might need to check your electric water heater wiring diagram or 220 electric heater then get back to me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
That is the color coding for a 3 phase pump
Or it has a start capacitor in a box above ground I had one like that . My new pump has only two wires to run it as the capacitor is in the pump below ground . He says it will run but he apparently don't understand how to wire in a pressure switch . This being for standard USA electric :clap:

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
If you know where the wires go on the manual box you should be able to move them to an auto start system without too much trouble.
One wire should be hot all the time.
One wire should hook to a relay and be hot when the pump starts until it is up to speed.
One wire should hook to the relay and be hot after the pump is up to speed.

Or you could use the pressure switch on the system to break the power between the breaker box and the manual start switch.

You don't need a different box. Most relay boxes I've seen don't even have an on/off switch, they just contain the relay for the starting circuit and are controlled by the pressure switch on the pressure tank.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
If you know where the wires go on the manual box you should be able to move them to an auto start system without too much trouble.
One wire should be hot all the time.
One wire should hook to a relay and be hot when the pump starts until it is up to speed.
One wire should hook to the relay and be hot after the pump is up to speed.

Or you could use the pressure switch on the system to break the power between the breaker box and the manual start switch.

You don't need a different box. Most relay boxes I've seen don't even have an on/off switch, they just contain the relay for the starting circuit and are controlled by the pressure switch on the pressure tank.
Yep that is what I was trying to say :clap:

This easy and simple :awh:Or you could use the pressure switch on the system to break the power between the breaker box and the manual start switch.

·
Registered
721 Posts
What voltage is the motor ? Sounds like a 120vac motor if so black is line red and blue are different speeds .Get some car fuses and spade terminals and use the fuses to try to hook it up that way it won't damage the motor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
220 v, 60hz. 1hp pump. I think i gathered the blue is.neutral, red and black are.hot. Single phase ,if that helps. I am going to have my step dad read these replies. He is more knowledgable, the wire colors were throwing him as they look nothing like other pumps and control boxes her has used. It is a very light weight, plastic control box.

·
Registered
8,830 Posts
220 v, 60hz. 1hp pump. I think i gathered the blue is.neutral, red and black are.hot. Single phase ,if that helps. I am going to have my step dad read these replies. He is more knowledgable, the wire colors were throwing him as they look nothing like other pumps and control boxes her has used. It is a very light weight, plastic control box.
Yep you'll are making a simple job hard :shrug::whistlin:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts