Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a '91 Fork F-150 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton PU and have this problem. It won't start..has all the starting power. Put new distrubutor cap, coil, rotor, modulator and not the battery..good spark plugs and wires..Just won't "kick" over. Started good the other day and the next day wouldn't. Starter is good...any suggestions..and yes..it has gas in the tank..( I thought of that one)..anyone have any ideas ?? Thanks !!1

·
Premium Member
18,009 Posts
Your post is a little confusing. I read it as the engine doesn't turn over. If that is the case....Do the headlights come on? If not, clean the battery terminals and clamp down the cables tight.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine is trying to run..the battery cables are clean and tight...any other ideas for us ?? Thanks !!

·
Registered
9,582 Posts
Helena said:
The engine is trying to run..the battery cables are clean and tight...any other ideas for us ?? Thanks !!
.........Ignition module , fuel filter , fuel pump . I'd try and locate where the main fuel line is underthe hood and take it loose and see IF you have a constant fuel discharge . I'm thinking the electric fuel pump is located in the tank on this truck . Also , the timing chain could have wornout depending upon the miles. From the factory the timing belt comes with nylon faced gears and will stripout with wear , usually most mechanics will replace with a real metal timing Chain . If stripped out the valves won't open and close .,fordy

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Will the engine run as long as the key is in the cranking position? If so, the problem is the ignition module that is mounted on the distributor. It takes a dedicated nutdriver to get the fastener out.

·
Premium Member
2,285 Posts
Helena said:
Have a '91 Fork F-150 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton PU and have this problem. It won't start..has all the starting power.
Put new distrubutor cap, coil, rotor, modulator and not the battery..good spark plugs and wires
..Just won't "kick" over. Started good the other day and the next day wouldn't. Starter is good...any suggestions..and yes..it has gas in the tank..( I thought of that one)..anyone have any ideas ?? Thanks !!1
Did you replace those parts because of the problem or did the problem start after you put in new parts?

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
I am still not clear as to the problem, if some times the engine does not respond to turning the key, other times it does - then check to see that the solenoid is correctly grounded. This one stumps life time mechanics.

If the engine spins but fails to start, look to establishing either fuel or spark. With those established and still no running look to mechanical reasons.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
...presence of spark alone doesn't mean that the timing is correct......look for breaks and possible corrosion in alll the wires....I had a similar problem a month or so ago and tracked it down to a corroded wire inside a wiring harness cover....the truck would start sometimes....would fire with gas placed inside cylinder but not keep running.......I checked fuel pressure and fuel pump as well as all ignition components (including timing).....of course once the broken corroded wire was fixed the problem ended.....

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
I have had the timing chain (nylon gear fall apart and slipped the timing) the spark still worked as it was truing but not in the correct place to make the engine work, uslay about 150,000 ,miles, and on my 400 engine I had the roll pin on the distributor strip as one of the plastic caps on the valve broke and worked it way down in to the oil pan an in to the oil pump, jamming the oil pump striping the roll pin on the bottom of the distributor off, and it would spark as well, but was not turning but moving a few degrees back and forth causing it to spark on occason.

the funny thing was I was cranking it and trying to start it and it filled the muffler with gas and air and finally it sparked and blew the muffler clean off from under the truck it took a few Min's for he dust to settle down, it shook me and the truck, it was one big blast,

so even if you have spark does not mean it is timed or even that the distributor is turning, (take of the cap of the distributor and have some one crank the motor and see if the rotor is turning) and if you have a timing light check if it is any where near where it should be,

on timing chains they usly jump when the motor is shut off, it was running fine and now it will not start,

if you don't have spark and the rotor is turning then it is probly a electronic box or pickup sensor some where.

If you have the skill and tools you will need a manual and jsut strat to follow the trouble shooting sequence untill you find the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts