Ford Ranger problem, transmission?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Zuiko, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Zuiko

Zuiko Well-Known Member

I have a 98 ford ranger, with a 2.5l engine. It has an automatic transmission. When I go a consistant speed for a while, then stop and try to accelerate again, sometimes, it feels under powered. This has been bugging me, and I have been meaning to have it looked at. I feel a little shaking in the back some times when it happens, sometimes I dont. After I feel the shaking, not rough, similar to shifting gears, I have tried 3 things. 1. Kicking it out of overdrive, didnt help. 2. Forcing it into 1st or 2nd, didnt work. 3. What I have been doing, shutting it off and restarting it, this seems to work. When I accelerate, when the problem is going on, it goes really slow, the engine isnt getting the rpms it should, then all of a sudden, I think it shifts, and there is tons of power, the rpms soar. I will probably bring it in soon. Do you people have anything I can try/check to avoid a spendy repair bill? BTW, transmission fluid was changed about 1 year (only 5k miles) ago. Thanks

2. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Sounds like it's time to have a complete diagnostic check run, not just a transmission check. It may not actually be a transmission problem, but computer-related.

The clue "what I have been doing, shutting it off and restarting it, this seems to work" strongly suggests a computer-related problem ... perhaps something as simple as a bad sensor. When you shut it off, the computer or sensor problem would tend to re-set itself.

No easy way to diagnose computer/sensor problems yourself.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Have a pro check your 'stall valve', Ford c-4 trans. Check for vacuum leaks with soap bubbles.