ford ranger or toyota tacoma

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by travis91, Oct 9, 2005.

1. travis91

travis91 Formerly 4animals.

should i buy a taco or ranger? i really like the ranger with the 7 foot bed and all the optitions but what would you guys(gals) do? we are a ford family but we had an '86 toyota truck and my mom really liked it(after all it was her truck) but toyota only has that little 6 foot bed. so any comments greatly apprechated

2. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Uh ... let's see: Ranger = 7' bed, Toyota = 6' bed.

Since a sheet of plywood is 8' long and won't fit in either truck with the tailgate closed, does it really matter???

3. travis91

ya how about if its not plywood?

4. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Toyota is light years ahead of Ford on reliability. I luv my Fords they're built right for me to drive but the wiring quality just sux. As said neither box is a useful length so go with the 6 footer and turn sharper

5. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

When my 1994 Toyota died with 308,000 miles I couldn't find another 4 cylinder extended cab Toyota that had low miles that I could afford, but I did find a Ranger 4 cylinder extended cab with 100,000 miles at a good price. It feels way bigger than it is to drive, but isn't as roomy inside as the Toyota was. Can't get my big ice chest in the cab at all, and the gas mileage isn't as good (best I have gotten is 31 mpg, but usually get 22-23mpg, with the Ford.) I'm still looking for an affordable used Toyota.
    If I was buying new, (which I would never do), I can't imagine buying a new Ford or Chevy instead of a Toyota.

6. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

LOL, here is a tip, lower the tailgate on the Ranger's Bed!

then it's a 9' bed, use cargo winches to hold the plywood in. :goodjob:

7. georgiarebel

georgiarebel Well-Known Member

Not to knock Ford, because I've got a F-250 and love it, but when it comes to the small trucks it's hard to beat a Yota. I've had two an (88 4x4,4-cyl) with 300,000 that only a wreck stopped (thanks to my brother-in-law) and (89 extended cab 4x4, 6yl, 88,000 orginal miles) that I drive daily. Both never let me down and needed minor maintence.

GR

8. seymojo536

seymojo536 Well-Known Member

Wisjim's replay says it all. You cannot find a used Toy pickup because we won't let go of them. Once you have one of these bulletproof gems it'll take a big pile of money to get you to part with it. How much more of an endorsement do you need? My '86 had 320K on it when I finally decided to get another (only repair other than tires and brakes was a master cylinder). My '00 now shows 120K, no repair bills and looks like it'll beat old blue's record. Don't fixate on the bed length. It's not that big a deal. If you need to haul long boards, put a cap or rack on it and strap em to the top or get a trailer. I prefer the trailer, let's me drop it when I don't feel like unloading right then.

9. travis91

how about if im hauling bulk cargo and "It feels way bigger than it is to drive, but isn't as roomy inside as the Toyota" what do yyou mean by this

10. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

As others have indicated in the thread, a trailer is a good addition to haul loads that will not fit in the bed of a small truck. Both Fords and Toyotas, if properly maintained, can go for many years, but on average, the Toyota will have much better quality. As some have stated, you almost have to try to tear them up...or loan them to a brother in law. You will likely pay more for the Toyota.

The real problem with all the small trucks is that no manufacturer is making/selling a fuel efficient diesel engine as an option. Of course, a Toyota with such an engine would probably outlive the owner...and maybe that's why they don't make them!

Good luck in your choice.

11. travis91

but ford has so many opitions and 'yota dosent and isnt that the reson to get a truck so you dont have to tow a trailer ohhh by the way what is the towing and hauling capicty on the "yota tacoma? thanks

12. dadmoonbunny

dadmoonbunny Member

After owning many vehicles over the years, and as so many here, lving in the country, here IMHO is another answer:

If bed length has you worried, take the bed OFF and park it on blocks to use for storage of firewood, hay, grain, what have you. A flat bed can be built easily, and you can adapt it to whatever you desire. unfasten the original tail light assemblies and mount them sideways under the bed at the rear to avoid the hassle w/BB.

Another option is to look into buying a surplus (used) military vehicle from a number of sources. Diesel is best, because, if you are mechanically inclined, you can make biodiesel in your back yaed and basically have fuel for cheap or free. Plus, you do not have to worry about EMP taking out the ignition. Even uncle sam knows this, and is converting all military vehicles to diesel. Even the scout motorcycles are going diesel.

Anyway, good luck and remember that a mind stuck in a rut is useless.

13. travis91

what does imho and emp mean?????/

14. travis91

yea i was thinking about one of these www.uteltd.com but i like the stock bed better

15. dadmoonbunny

dadmoonbunny Member

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion

EMP = Electro Magnetic Pulse. An elctronic wave that disables and or "frys" Integrated Circuits, most currently produced electrical devices and such. results in power losses to include vehicle ignitions, central power supplies, airconditioners, appliances, etc.

16. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Take a look at edmunds.com to get a full set of specs for almost any truck, including towing/hauling capacity.

17. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

As a owner of both ranger and toyo trucks I would dump the ranger first chance I get....I have the 2.3 4-cyl ranger and motors don't last much beyond 150,000 for originals and about 100,000 for rebuilds.....toyos just keep on going....I have a 86 toyo one-ton long bed and I have hauled a ton or more in it and it handles the load with ease.....from a wrenching perspective I would choose the toyo over the ford any day of the week..

18. travis91

hey would you buy another one of those one tons, i like them i have one of the ads for one on the back of an old bassmaster magizine they look preety neat what do you get with mpg (city/hghway) i would love to find out thanks

19. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

The one-tons are great trucks and they don't last long when advertised! A quality rebuilt motor runs about $1700 around here and with all the other misc things you replace while your 'down there' makes it about $2000......you'll never get close to getting a 'new' rig of that quality in that price range....of course being able to do the work yourself helps alot.....you just can't beat these vehicles IMO....I am always getting offers for mine.....milage runs about 18-20 around town and 22-24 highway.....not much difference loaded or unloaded...it is only a 4-cyl so don't expect milage much higher than this....I would get another if the opportunity arose......and dump the ranger!

20. travis91

could i get an ex-uhaul 'ypta or are they just to far gone to use?