Ford mechanical minded only need read!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Farmer Brown, Feb 14, 2004.

1. Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown Well-Known Member

1992 Crown Vic with 4.6 and dual overhead cams just developed a rattlely ticky noise. Seems to be up front. I just took off belt and tried it and still there so rules out all the easy stuff. Does not really let me tell which side it's coming from. Got to be in the valve train somewhere---I think. Anyone ever been into one of these? Any commments welcome. FB

2. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

Add a one bottle of ( STP ) to the oil.

3. VAkat

VAkat Member

Mr. KAT’s response (long time Ford ONLY man, former much sought after mechanic in the area)
    Take a piece of heater hose, hold it up to your ear to find out where the noise is coming from, then post back.
    KAT

4. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I'm going totally from memory which isn't worth much ( I have CRS ). The OHC Ford engines require a light oil to operate properly, I beleive the manual calls for 5w-30. There have been many problems with old schoolers using the old heavy oils, 10w-40 and 20w-50.

5. Next time you change the oil add a quart of Lucas oil stabilizer (http://www.lucasoil.com/). I have been using this stuff for over two years and cannot say enough good things about it. I run oil stabilizer and fuel treatment it in everything I own.