Ford F250 questions

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by whiterock, May 22, 2005.

1. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

I tried to post this earlier but it didn't go so if it comes up later sorry.

We need to find another vehicle. We are both large scale and small to mid size doesn't do it for us. We just got rid of a "03 dodge picup my wife had due to size of payments and such. I have a 94 chevy 3/4 ton pu.

We are thinking about a F250 late 80's through 90's in extend cab{possibly crew cab} driving las been lessend due to her new job 8 miles from the house as opposed to a 90 mile round trip. We have grandkids to haul about and prefer pickups to cars due to size, comfort(for us), and being able to see what's ahead.

Will those with experience share their opinions

gas or disel and why
    mpg of each with standard equip on each
    how much mileage is too much

I am leaning toward disel, F250, I pre fer manual trans but momma prefers auto.
    not interested praticularly in 4wd {I live on a whiterock hill}

any thing else we need to consider?
    Ed

2. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

My uncle owned a 1988 F-250 with the continental diesel, in 4x4, his trips to Arizona from North idaho got him 20-22 MPG carrying a cab over fiberglass 11 foot camper or pulling a 26 foot fifth wheel.

After my aunt pass away a couple years ago, he bought a toyota, and smaller camper.... cause he didnt need all that room of the big pickup anymore.

As long as those older pickups have not been abused to much, a person can do alright with them, I drive a '78 F350 crew cab in 4x4 [not to crazy about a 2x4 crummy cause they can get stuck over a railroad track in the wrong weather] I also have a 76 250 regular cab 4x4, and recently bought a 77 2x4 regualr cab for a parts rig at worst for $250 but it drives alright.... just no one seems to want one around here and it has a motor that I can use for parts or swap out rear ends if need be......

As far as one brand of rig holding up over the others, it all depends on who drives the rig and how it is cared for ultimately by the owner..... but used rigs are a better buy for the most part.

William

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................Might want to consider the 94 thru 1999 dodge diesels as well . The 1995 thru 1998 7.3 diesels are a good truck and get good fuel milage but you have to really be careful and have any truck inspected by a Competent mechanic prior to purchase . The engine(s) are good for 300k miles if they have had regular maintenance . I have a 77 f250 , 4x4 that has had extensive fixing up done and it still only gets about 10 mpg . My 99 PSD diesel w\6 speed will get 17 on hiway at 70 mph. Ford made some significant improvements starting with the 1999 model year...i.e. , disc brakes on the rear axle , 6 speed manual tranny , significant increases in HP and Torque for each year on the 99 thu 2003 , 7.3's . Any of the Diesels is going to be pricey to fix regardless of the year in question . DO NOT buy any of the 2003 , '04 ,or '05 6.0 diesels as they have had ongoing problems starting with the '03's . Some '03 owners have had NO problems but if you get one WITH problems you'll get to know your service writer like your next door neighbor . Ford is coming out with a 6.4 liter , Twin Turbo diesel to replace the 6.0 either in the '06's or '07's , and I'm not sure which year it will be . fordy.. :)

4. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

We had an '87 F-250 diesel, manual transmission, extended cab - bought as a low-mileage (12K miles) demonstrator. Never ran it hard and got rid of it at approx 85K miles.

Bad points:
    Fuel injection pump ... The original was bad and replaced under warranty - with TWO more because they were junk right out of the box! The third replacement pump lasted about 70K miles.
    Manual transmission would sometimes jam in gear or worse, between gears. Only had a 4-speed transmission - and I always thought it would have been better with a 5-speed (which was not offered, I believe) or even an automatic because it had more "go" than the 4-speed would allow.
    Various parts of the electrical system were pure junk: power windows, fuel sending gauges, and radio are the ones I can think of right off the top of my head.
    Complete hydraulic clutch system had to be replaced at 75K miles.

Good points:
    Fairly comfortable ride, plenty of room, plenty of power to pull a 40' gooseneck trailer.

5. oregonbuckaroo

oregonbuckaroo Member

I have a 91 f-250 with the 460 big block.It was a damn good truck when I got it. It had plenty of power and speed before I abused the crap out of it. Now I cant figure out how it still drives.

6. cutinpony

cutinpony Active Member

I would opt for the 4 door 460. I have a 4 door F350 2wd 7.3 diesel , turbo 1993.

just put in a new motor for 7000 bucks. I love my truck but would buy a gas 460 if i get another . Short hauls are a killer of the diesels. Mt brand new diesel gets 13.5 mpg, the 460 will outstrip that by leaps and bounds.

7. swamp_deb

swamp_deb Well-Known Member

We have a 2000 F250- V10 - Crew cab..........gas........love it. We bought it used and so far no problems. We did have it checked out by our mechanic first.
    My brother has a Dodge diesel, has had to have the transmission rebuilt and some other work done to his. He also has to turn his off if we stop to talk, I keep mine running ( we live on the same road and meet each other once in a while).

The gas mileage is not as good as the 1999 Taurus that this truck replaced, but, this is my ride and I am a stay at home wife. We also use it for pulling the 5th wheel for camping. The only way that we know that it is back there is to look.

There is a forum "Ford Truck Enthusiasts" where you can get all kinds of info if you want to check it out.

8. Jeremy in KY

Jeremy in KY New Member

I have a 88 and a 90 model f-250. Both are 4x4 with the 7.3 diesel. I bought the 88 with 160k and put probably 80k myself before parked it for the front end being worn out. The 90 is up to 180k and going strong. I have had problems starting both of them but other than that they run perfect. The 88 got about 17mpg on the highway, the 90 about 15.

9. len

len Well-Known Member

we have two 1990 F-250 extended cabs, one a 7.3 litre diesel and the other a 5.8 litre gas, both auto. Love 'em both. The diesel shines pulling a loaded trailer.
    The E4OD auto transmission had a few weaknesses which were fixed up by the mid 90's. The diesel gives better mileage but that is offset by higher maintenance costs.
    I'm not a fan of the direct injection, turbo 7.3 of the mid 90's...who needs a turbo when you have 444 cubic inches??? :)

10. LowCountryBoy

LowCountryBoy New Member

I owned a 86 F-250 with the 6.9 liter International diesel ahooked to 4 speed manual tranny with granny low and set of 373 gears.Pulled 35 fifth wheel camper allover country(did Construction work).Only two problems I had a starter went out and fuel economy(good days got 12 mpg).Would love to find another like her. I drove for 150,00 miles before trading it in.

11. shelbynteg

shelbynteg Well-Known Member

I have an 88 Chevy 350, gas, the engine is real strong with 250k on it. The problem area we've had is the transmission, truck has an automatic but we have needs for heavy hauling and last year put the third tranny in it. My new-er F350 is a standard and perfect for the hauling.

12. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

Had one just like it. Had 380,000 miles on it when I flipped it. Only problem is that it only goty about 8 mpg. My 2000 powerstroke gets 17 mpg.

13. Runners

Runners A real Quack!

For my job, I drive a 1997 Super Duty F-250, 4x4, automatic, dual gas tanks, extended cab, with a 460 engine - 106,000+ miles on it.

For power, this thing could lose 2 cylinders and it *might* be like a normal truck.

My cons:
    If you don't have WEIGHT in it, every little divit, manhole cover, etc., is like hitting a 6" rock. This thing jumps and bounces all over the place when empty. Empty is anything less than 500lbs! With some real weight, 3/4 - 1 ton, it rides so nice, I've almost nodded off ...

Nothing stays inside the cab where you originally put it. If it started on the dash, it'll end up on the floor. Since it has zero cup holders and no really good place to put one, the 60/40 split seat has become a usable 50/30 seat, with coffee, tea & some unidentifiable liquid stains.

I'm neutral on gas guzzling, hey! What do you expect from a 460? 20mpg? I get 13 with it - and who cares, the company pays the gas. (thank God it's got Cruise control.)

The radio SUCKS! AM or FM - the stock radio is junk.

My Pros:
    The flip down rear seat is GREAT for junk - sure it likes to slide around a bit, but it's like a second indoor truck bed behind the seat. Really nice that it's METAL instead of plastic or cloth.

Power like I've never seen before, and I got a 2001 Dodge Ram wagon w/360 in it, same miles... Punch the gas at 60mph on this Ford and it takes off like a rocket - really handy for passing tractors & haywagons on the backroads. My boss said, "It's got a lot of guts, you'll learn to appreciate it...".

The wheelbase is good and long, which I really like for towing. It ain't flashy, but it's seen some hard use, a couple of break-ins (they used something and cut the roof off to get into the cab, couldn't get through the VENT windows!?)
    However, if you can't handle outside mirrors for parking & backing up, forget any kind of long bed, extended cab truck. I took off the rear view mirror, it was useless with a tool topper and blocked my forward vision (I'm 6'4").

My favorite truck was a '96 Dodge Dakota SLT, the only vehicle I ever bought new. It was a really comfortable ride, but spent too much time in the shop (Transmission, Torque Converter, Air Conditioner, and a host of little things that either failed or fell apart before I had 80k miles on it.) Great riding truck, but darn near expensive as a high class woman! (everytime something broke, I felt like I was buying diamond something or other...)

That F-250 ain't the prettiest thing on the block, actually kinda plain looking - if not down right UGLY... But.... it's got enough toughness and power to haul some big loads with ease. It's a nice feeling to have a 3/4 ton + in the back and accellerate up a steep hwy On Ramp to merge with 65mph traffic like it's an everyday event.

Ford has come a long ways from the lightweight junk they made back in the '60s & '70s.