Ford Explorer Rough Ride

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by greenacresusa, Sep 26, 2006.

1. greenacresusa

greenacresusa Well-Known Member

I have a 2000 2door Ford Explorer Sport. Several months ago what was a smooth riding SUV became very rough. I've had the front right wheel bearings replaced. Put on all four new tires (same as was on it before, brand and size), had it aligned, the u-joint checks out fine and well as the suspension. Each replacement/repair was needed and helped a little bit but it's still a lot rougher ride than it was before this started. Any ideas? I've looked at the shocks/struts and it doesn't seem to be a problem but I'm thinking of having a shop like Midas look at them to be sure. Kinda getting tired of running it to different shops.

Thanks!!

2. Northman

Northman Well-Known Member

NVH complaints can be very difficult to diagnose but usually the actual cause is simple to repair.

If your vehicle was brought into my shop I would first roadtest it to get a feel for the rough ride. I would note weather I could feel it more in the seat or in the steering wheel. next I would swerve side to side to determine if it changed when the body rolls. after the roadtest I would perform an inspection of the suspension both loaded and up in the air, checking the bushing and mounts, control arms and isolators.

If there is any metal to metal contact where a busing or mount is supposed to isolate it would cause a rough ride.

is it a vibration? or a harsh ride. Harshness is a firmer than normal ride.
    Another area to look at is the slip joint of the driveshaft , I have had to lube some with teflon grease usually the symptom is a vibration on accelleration.

If you could give a better description it could give me some clues as to where your concern might be. also PM me your Vin # and I'll run an Oasis on it through Fords database.

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Let some air out of the tires.

4. agmantoo

deleted..double post Actually I think George Dickel made the second post :)

5. greenacresusa

We've tried the letting air out of the tires, but didn't do any good. It's in the Ford shop today. Will see what they come up with. I stressed to them to do the road test first before trying to figure it out.

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Let some air out of the tires...where have I heard that before? Oh yea, that's right..that was Ford's advice when all of the Explorers started flipping over.

7. agmantoo

How many miles are on this Ford Exploder? Did this problem arise before or after the above referenced work?

8. greenacresusa

Well the story is from the Ford dealer that it was a bad rear axle!! Plus also a bad ball joint as well but the main problem was the axle. I've had the SUV for about 20,000 miles. I know that I didn't damage the axle myself so it's hard to say if it was the previous owner or if it was wear and tear. In a way I hope it was something the previous owner did (maybe off roading, etc) instead of "normal" wear and tear. I should be picking it up this evening if they finish it today.

9. ponyboy123

ponyboy123 Well-Known Member

welcome to life with a ford, get a GM

10. greenacresusa

Nah, can't stand GM products or Mopar. Grew up in FORD country :)

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Mexico ? :shrug:

BooBoo

12. greenacresusa

Nah, Ford Country = Country when it was really country :) We all drove F100/F150/F250s :) Still have a 1986 F150 going strong :)