Ford E-250 headlights

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by mikell, Jul 13, 2004.

1. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Left a retirement party the other night and no bright headlights. The indicator on the dash does not come on. Could it be a relay?? I haven't had time to check things yet I'll post if I find anything. Just looking for suggestions.Seems strange for both lights to go at once. Had to WD-40 the screws and wait a few days.

mikell

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Its possible that they both burnt out at the same time but I would check the selector switch first.

3. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

My best SWAG is you have a bad headlamp switch AND a melted plug on connector at the switch. This is a VERY common problem on all Ford products especially trucks. The block connector is available seperate from a good auto parts store.
    Now for the cure. On trucks the usual cause for this problem is the extra load the lights of a trailer put on the headlamp switch. You can easily wire your trailer running lights to be fed from a relay so the headlamp switch only has the load of the relay on it. You can also increase your headlamps brightness by triggering them with a relay instead of directly from the switch. Many times there is quite a bit of voltage drop thru the headlamp switch and it's wiring. This will cause the headlamps to be slightly dimmer than if they had all 12v to work with. Also ck. and clean the grounds on your headlamps themselves.