FORD 9N Tractor Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by hotwire, Feb 24, 2005.

1. hotwire

hotwire Member

I just recently inherited a Ford 9N. I have a hopefully simple question. When looking underneath the tractor I have 2 big drain plugs/bolts, one at the front and one towards the back. Is the one at the front the oil drain plug and the one at the back for hydraulic fluid?

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Well..... There are several drains, from antifreeze to engine oil to.... I'm not so familiar with the N series, the 100 series of Fords actually have 3 compartments for the rear (rear end, tranny, & hyd) each with their own drain plug. So, kinda hard to know which bolt head you are looking at for sure.

The engine oil plug is under the engine in the oil pan, that one you should be able to identify.

The rest......

A manual is a cheap investment, you can get them from New Holland, from many many tractor/ farm stores, from all over the web. A good resource for qworking on old tractors is www.ytmag.com .

Oh, and I have seen everything from a 9N, 2N, 8N, NAA, 600, 800, & 3000 Ford tractor called a '9N' so you might want to check your serial tags & be sure of what you have....

--->Paul

3. hotwire

hotwire Member

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

hotwire, you are aware that the 2n, 9n and 8n use an oil in their hydraulics that is different from other hydraulic oils don't you? NAPA should have what you want but buy from someone with grey hair at the temples.

5. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The N9s hydraulic system is supposed to run on 90 weight gear lube, experts - correct this if I am wrong.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

moo, those tractors do not use a 90 wt gear oil. They use a heavy weight hydraulic oil that is not of the same viscosity as the gear oil. I know of a time when someone mistakenly used the gear oil and that it was too thick.

7. hotwire

hotwire Member

I found this Web Site which I think is great for anyone who has a N series Tractor. I think I will purchase an Owners Manual for the 9N.

http://www.nseries.com

8. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I have a Fergie 35 deluxe of a similar vintrage and it runs modern Hytran just fine for the hydraulics.

9. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Ross, A Fergie TO-35 Deluxe, nice little tractor. I think the TO-35s were made from 53-60 and the 9Ns from 39-43.

10. scott

scott Well-Known Member

you are correct ..... and you can get the correct fluid at the new holland dealer

also get a catalog from www.n-complete.com .... they have a good board there too.

what is your serial number and we'll figure out when it was made.