Ford 4000 Tractor

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by mem, Apr 12, 2006.

1. mem

mem Well-Known Member

Maybe y'all can help me out. I recently bought my first tractor, and don't know much about it. It's an older (1964, I think) Ford. I think it is a 4000, with a 4 cylinder gasoline engine, tricycle type fromt tires. Does anyone know where the oil fill cap is located on this thing? I would think that it would be up on the valve cover, but that is where the gas tank is located.

Thanks in advance

2. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

Serial number 5 digits, no letters, higher than 38931? (Located on tranny). Then it's a 1964.

Also, do you mean that the front tires (2) are very close together (row-cropping). I'm not sure if the 4000 had that option? The 4000 sits too low (even the old ones) - it seems to me - to have the row-cropping option.

If you don't get an answer on the oil fill location, I'll stop by the neighbors and ask him where his is (he's got an old gas 4000).

R

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Not sure about your rig but in the past there was a removeable crankcase vetilator mounted low on some tractor blocks. Usually it is a cylinder shape with a tube turning downward.

4. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

It's a pipe that sticks out of the engine block just above the oil pan, at 45 degrees more or less, with a ventilator cap on top of it. I had a 1964 4000 for a long time but that was years ago, it was a great tractor for me. :cowboy:

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Those tikes can be a handful to drive so do take care. That'd be a valuable collector peice around me, whatcha pay for it if you don't mind my asking!?

6. mem

mem Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help, folks. I thought that the tube with the ventilator cap might be it. But, being a newbie, I'd hate to pour oil down the wrong whole.

Ross, I think I gave $2500 for it. It needs some cosmetic work and a good tune-up, but I like it. And it may teach me a thing or two.

Thanks again.

MEM