Ford 3000 gas Pictures added

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Ross, May 31, 2006.

1. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I've come across a Ford 3000 gas, standard 6 speed, must be a 72 or 73 with near new back tires and PS very straight runs nice......... $2500 CND!!!!!!! It's ugly needs a seal here and there but starts on a near dead battery just like that. I hate gas engines but as a yard tractor to power up augers or jockey wagons, $2500 isn't hard to take........ Heck the rear tires are worth a grand!!! Am I nutz to buy it?

2. tallpaul

tallpaul Well-Known Member

I was thinkin new tires are a grand anyhow as you did... If ya need a tractor they are not bad. I like diesels myself but that might be a tad hard to let go... 2500 canadian is like what 2000.00 besides they start easier "up north" than diesels! Would be nice to have one good one around at least. I did have an old Gas massey loader and I sold it to a friend and he is still workin it .

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Popular size and price range for many buyers. As long as you don't run into any hidden surprise repair expenses you can't go too wrong with it. If it doesn't meet your needs could always sell and recoup your investment.

4. Ross

I can pick up a 4000 diesel engine for it once its rebuilt for around $2500, which brings the 3000 up 8 or 9 hp while keeping it compact. A 4000 deisel would sell around $7000 here. We had a 3000 years ago, never should have sold it! I just sold off my last "small" tractor (DB 990) and now I miss it (as in there's a gap in ability) doing small chores like post hole digging, auger powering, cement mixing ....... I use the bigger tractors for it but they're tied up from field work and often just physically too big. I'm going to try and borrow the 3000 for a weekend (its my mechanics who I paint tractors for that has it)

5. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

a person can really never have to many tractors can they? I seen one fella who has over 100 MM down in Florida and another fella who has over 500 JD in Montana.... now they might be considered eccentric, but under a dozen is still practical [wel at least try that argument on the Mrs and tell her she can get another spinning wheel to look at too ;-)]

William

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Ross, with the diesel making PTO 540 rpm at 1800 and the current gas engine running faster aren't you going to have a gear/speed problem?

7. Ross

Not 100% sure, it'll be a gear to change at worst. Our 6600 Ford is a former Gas unit, I'll enquire about PTO changes for the Diesel.

8. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I think that's a great price personally. I can't find anything like that price around here. Tractors bring premiums in our area.

Unless of course Paul you tell me that you have some deals...

9. Up North

Fuel Filtration system and lines need changing? 3000 batteries/battery cables up to cranking a diesel? Cold weather starting aids need to be addressed?

10. Ross

For sure it would need a return line and different filtres, the battery cables look the same as on my othe tractors and it already needs a new battery. Nothings for sure yet, it might be nice to have one gas tractor. I'd be stuck living with it for a while anyhow. It might be easier to trade it on a diesel, I'd certainly make some money on that kind of deal. A new TT55 maybe?? :) :rolleyes:

11. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

In decent condition, that's a great price even for a gasser. I'm looking for a tractor in that size range and they are all quite a bit more than that.

Nice find!

12. Up North

Ross my plan would be to maximize this opportunity by leaving it a gas, mounting a good used frontend loader with snow bucket on it, and then sell package with a tidy sum left over to invest in your next tractor. A small gas tractor with snow bucket is ideal merchandise, unless of course ONTARIO doesn't get snow,LOL.

13. Rockin'B

Rockin'B Well-Known Member

This is a Ford 2000 that is already bid up to 3000 bux. Ford 2000

14. Ross

I would like a new TT55 which is just the latest incarnation of the 3000/4000 Ford. I havn't even got it yet but I think its too good to pass up. I could just get it fix up the little things and sell it for a good profit, very true. Hopefully it will be here this afternoon.

15. Ross

Well here are some pictures hopefully my clickable thumbnails will work and speed loading.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well the thumbs seem to work. Click on them to get a bigger view of the picture. What a pain to do though! :p

16. Up North

Perfect Size for many buyers. Paint rear outer rims, touch up nose cone, change oil, fill fluids, Voila highly salable machine. Is 3rd link on 3 PT. missing? Owner's manual thrown in on the deal, LOL?

17. Ross

Think I'll hang on to it for a while, do so metal work and painting, new lights etc. See where we are in a year. Yeah no third link, I have a few around that will fit.

18. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

I owned a Ford '65 3000 gas tractor. It had a John Deere loader cobbled onto it. It was the perfect size for brush hogging. But the loader didn't work all that well and it was too small to deal with dirt-filled brush piles. I paid $5,000 for it with the loader and a small rotary cutter. I got more than that when I traded it for a lesser-used New Holland TN 65.

The Ford taught me an important lesson: Be very skeptical before you buy equipment from an old rancher. This guy knew a lot more than I probably ever will. And he was tired of dealing with this particular tractor. The tractor served me well, but the learning curve was pretty steep as I fixed all the things that were worn out and became familiar with all the tractor's personality quirks. I think I got an OK deal, but I'm sure that old rancher was smiling as he drove away after dropping it off.

When the heavy work is done on our place, I'll probably be looking for a tractor in the same HP range as the 3000, but hopefully newer, with 4WD and a loader that actually fits.