Ford 1720 Model Tractor

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Rick, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi

We are going to look at a Ford, 1720 model tractor, 30 HP- 1200 hours on it. The tires are weighted.

It is 4WD, and comes with a heavy duty and medium duty brushhog, a blade, and several other landscaping and farming attachments.

The price (private party) is 10,000 delivered.

Does this sound like a good deal if the tractor is in decent shape?

Thanks,

Rick

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Personally I do not like that size of wannabe tractor. For the price quoted you should be able to buy a full size tractor such as a 3910. The larger tractor will serve you better, have a better resale and the number of implements that the larger tractor can handle is greatly increased.

3. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Depends what you want to do with it. I got one here on the farm 3 years ago. It's like a swiss army knife - run it every day! Small enough to get in to places the bigger fellows can't - & I have 6 bigger fellows on the place.

Anyhow, nice tractor.

Mine has a loader on it. This one does not?

Locally, the tractor you describe, no loader, would be in the $7-8000 range.

The implements may or may not add up to $2000?

--->Paul

4. Rick

Agmantoo

I felt it was worth 6000 tops, 1700 for the equipment and 300 for him delivering the whole load 90 minutes up our litlle state road. I'm not impressed by a larger tractor, as I am trying to use as little fuel as I can. I intend for this baby to rust out with me so resale is not important.

Paul

You hit it on the head- size matters. We have narrow timber roads I need to get through and they are steep. The seller improved the tractor with a thick steel plate canopy that attaches to the tractor at 6 locations. This whole setup would have to be removed or shortened and reattached before a loader can be installed. We are going to use it as it is and see if we really need a loader. I asked him if he could drive the tractor up the steep hill behind his house, as it was almost as steep as a goat hill.

I could hardly belieive what I saw. I had to try it myself, and nearly slid out of the side of the seat when I turned to come back down.

I asked him to take 9000 for it. I told him it was fine with me if he tried to get his full price, but thats all I could pay for it. He thought long about it, and said okay, but I better take care of her!

Thanks,

Rick.

5. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

Rick you may think the fuel gauge is inop. the first few days you run her,LOL.
    The fuel consumption is so miserly that it takes a long time for fuel gauge to move. Enjoy the mini-beast. :)

6. Rick

Thanks UpNorth

Jason said I could brush hog for over ten hours on a 6 gallon tank!

7. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

I worked one hard for 7 hours running a rear mount backhoe to unearth septic tank. Could not put entire contents of 5 gallon tin of fuel in her. :)