·
Registered
Been There Done That, Got The T-shirt
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Both of my sons were left-handed.

I did not force their hand.

Forcing a left-handed child to use right hand can cause many adverse effects

Due to cultural and social pressures, many left-handed children were forced to write and perform other activities with their right hands.

It is common in different part of the world. Asia is even noted as a place where people practice this act a lot. Nigeria is not left behind, as this act is commonly seen here.

But do you know that, the act of forcing a child who is left handed to change to right handed, can cause adverse effect on the child?

Well, it is important for you to know that changing the hand a child uses when writing, can cause great confusion in the brain and can have a lot of adverse effects on the child

According to anythinglefthanded, there are numerous instances where, forcing left handed children to become right-handed had caused very bad effects in those children lives. Also, for some children, the experience had been traumatic for them.

These are some of the effects people have reported to have, after being forced to change from using left hand to right hand;

1. Bad handwriting

2. Bed-wetting

3. Stuttering

4. Nail biting

5. Shyness and being withdrawn

6. Defiance and provocative behaviour

7. Poor concentration

8. Bad memory

9. Reading difficulties

10. Problems with spelling

11. Neurotic personality

12. Physical tiredness

Link To Article

Cartoon Happy Organism Font Sharing

2. Do not force them to switch hands

One of the worst things you can do is force a lefthanded child to use their right hand for daily activities. This might affect their neural circuitry, and they might not be able to use either hand properly in the future.

Link To Article

·
Premium Member
32,566 Posts
Both my siblings are left handed. I taught them how to hold a pencil and write so they didn't write with a curled hand like so many lefties that I have seen write.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both my siblings are left handed. I taught them how to hold a pencil and write so they didn't write with a curled hand like so many lefties that I have seen write.
I worked with a left-handed woman who could write with the paper upside down.

• Wow
Reactions: Danaus29

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
My older sister was left-handed and could write just fine. That was until at school she was forced to use her right hand to write. She ended up writing what we called back-handed with her right hand curled and paper sideways. When Daddy found out he made a visit to the school and all changed! My sister started writing with her left hand for the remainder of school and throughout her life.

·
Marked safe from the TP famine of 2020.
21,212 Posts
I was forced to use my right hand when I believe I was Left handed. I still am dominate with my left except to write. My father was the same way.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Supposedly my wife was left handed when a child and forced to use her right. Maybe this is why she changes her mind so often????
You may, or may not want to tell her this.
Instead, it is well known that handedness is caused by the brain (Schmitz et al., 2019). Handedness represents one form of functional hemispheric asymmetries—e.g., left-right differences in the brain. Specifically, in left-handers, the motor cortex in the right side of the brain (the left side of the body is controlled by the right side of the brain, and vice versa) is dominant for fine motor behavior. In contrast, in right-handers, the left motor cortex is better at fine motor tasks such as writing.

Link To Article
Having established that left-handed people are controlled by the right half of the brain, we are thereby lead to the conclusion that left-handed people are actually in their right mind.

P.S. I don't like the idea any more than you do. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: altair and Big_Al

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'm left handed.
The uncle I'm named after was left handed too, and supposedly his stutter was caused by an attempt to force him to be a rightie. He turned out to have a degree in engineering, so his brain wasn't scrambled.

I write normally, not with my hand all curled around.
Curiously, in baseball I throw left and bat right. My Dad, who was right, golfed left. My wife is also left.

Growing up left in a right hand world teaches adaptability and perseverance. Think about using your left thumb to click the safety of a 1911 off. I've learned how to do it automatically without thought, Try using scissors with your left hand. Doesn't feel good, does it?
Think about trying to activate the selector switch on your M16A1 when the chips are down.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I started playing my uke as a righty, but think I'm going to re-string it because it feels like I'm dishonoring how I'm wired.

I'm the only green-eyed, left-handed person in at least three generations of my family. I'm hoping I was adopted.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I started playing my uke as a righty, but think I'm going to re-string it because it feels like I'm dishonoring how I'm wired.

I'm the only green-eyed, left-handed person in at least three generations of my family. I'm hoping I was adopted.
Check out these photos.

Notice anything different?
Musical instrument Microphone Musician Guitar Piano

Musical instrument Guitar Musician String instrument String instrument

Musical instrument Guitar Musician String instrument String instrument

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I'm left handed.
The uncle I'm named after was left handed too, and supposedly his stutter was caused by an attempt to force him to be a rightie. He turned out to have a degree in engineering, so his brain wasn't scrambled.

I write normally, not with my hand all curled around.
Curiously, in baseball I throw left and bat right. My Dad, who was right, golfed left. My wife is also left.

Growing up left in a right hand world teaches adaptability and perseverance. Think about using your left thumb to click the safety of a 1911 off. I've learned how to do it automatically without thought, Try using scissors with your left hand. Doesn't feel good, does it?
Think about trying to activate the selector switch on your M16A1 when the chips are down.
I’m a lefty. I don’t write with my hand curled either, never knew that was a thing.
But imagine shells ejecting in front of your face while shooting a right handed shotgun. I’ve been doing that my whole life. I did have my safety converted to left handed on my Wingmaster. I remember about 25 years ago I found a used 870 left handed version at a gun show. I put it down and came back to the table about 10 minutes later and it was gone. Shoulda jumped on it instead of thinking about it. The only thing I do right handed is use scissors. I guess in grade school you learn to do it right handed or you don’t use scissors at all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts