Homesteading Forum banner
81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I am becoming very suspicious about people removing meat from their meals. It could be my imagination working over time but maybe the lack of red meat might be the cause of many problems we are having in our country.
People began eating meat when they climbed down out of the trees. Everything was chugging along alright. People get the idea of not eating meat and we have riots in the streets and elect vegetables to higher office.
High positive correlation...The question is --
Do they eat less meat because they have become wimpified, or have they become wimpidied because they eat less meat?

Humans were first vegans, then vegetarians, then carnivores.
Saddly misinformed comment....We are carnivores with ominivorous capabilities. Our immediate ancestors actually bcame scavengers as they first came down out of the trees. (How else do you explain a carnivore with such small fangs & claws?)

The line of humanoids that were vegetarians (Australopithicines like "Lucy") all DIED OUT.

·
Registered
544 Posts
The term 'vegan' refers to a diet that does not include any animal products at all (no animal flesh, or animal products such as dairy, eggs, or honey).
The term 'vegetarian' refers to a diet that does not include animal flesh, but could include animal products (such as dairy, eggs, or honey).
The term 'lacto-vegetarian' refers to a diet that does not include animal flesh, or animal products, except for dairy.
The term 'ovo-vegetarian' refers to a diet that does not include animal flesh, or animal products, except for eggs.
Sounds like they are just making up names to let them eat what they want.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Do they eat less meat because they have become wimpified, or have they become wimpidied because they eat less meat?

Saddly misinformed comment....We are carnivores with ominivorous capabilities. Our immediate ancestors actually bcame scavengers as they first came down out of the trees. (How else do you explain a carnivore with such small fangs & claws?)

The line of humanoids that were vegetarians (Australopithicines like "Lucy") all DIED OUT.
No correlation at all.

Some people eat less meat simply because they want to live longer. Killing and eating animals, or not, also does not have any affect at all on a person's wimpiness or badassedness.

Humans were first vegans, then vegetarians, then carnivores. Like all other animals, humans have evolved from what we were to what we are. Our bodies have necessarily adapted to our environment and our lifestyles as we evolved.

And yes, it is true that previous versions of humans have died out, but there is no proof that the reason for that had anything to do with their diet.

·
Premium Member
18,381 Posts
The term 'vegan' refers to a diet that does not include any animal products at all (no animal flesh, or animal products such as dairy, eggs, or honey).
The term 'vegetarian' refers to a diet that does not include animal flesh, but could include animal products (such as dairy, eggs, or honey).
The term 'lacto-vegetarian' refers to a diet that does not include animal flesh, or animal products, except for dairy.
The term 'ovo-vegetarian' refers to a diet that does not include animal flesh, or animal products, except for eggs.
Along with eliminating animal products from their diet, a true vegan does not use any animal products for clothing, such as leather for shoes and belts. I am not a vegan.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Along with eliminating animal products from their diet, a true vegan does not use any animal products for clothing, such as leather for shoes and belts. I am not a vegan.
Yup. This is true. And I support you and everyone else's choice to eat whatever diet they want ... so long as their diet doesn't include humans (even if it is synthetic human meat) ... eeewww. I draw the line at Tom Cruise burgers.

·
Premium Member
18,381 Posts
I am not sure if I should be offended at your comment. There are many here that would tell you that the last thing I am is wimpified. I spent a good share of today cleaning up downed trees on my acreage. I am 69, strong, healthy, and on no meds. We also have a daughter and son-in-law, that eat the same lifestyle that we do. They are both physicians. How are you doing, doc-?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Feed costs and butchering costs? The butchering costs are astronomical around here. Last time I used a butcher was for a pair of pigs and when I crunched the numbers the butchering when it was all said and done was half of the total input costs (not including fencing because it was there already).
If raising a 4-H animal especially, I could absolutely see how the inputs would make the meat more expensive than just buying from a store.
That is fact in many places. Working with veterans following military retirement, there was an attempt to recruit many to train as butchers - a skill in decline. During my senior year pursuing a sustainable ag degree, one of the class projects involved the class raising meat birds as a business. Butchering one’s own birds barley made them profitable… if one did not factor in one’s own labor. If butchering was outsourced, they were raised at a financial loss.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I can definitely understand that meat is going to be in shorter supply, and cost more, for a while. Our meat industry is heavily grain dependent and with the Ukraine/Russia war grain is in short supply. And then again we are making plans to burn a lot of it as fuel due to oil shortages.

The thing that has me scratching my head and my spidey senses going off, and I am NOT into conspiracy theories, is our national complacency about those issues. Could it be that this situation, while not invented to force us off meat, is being seen as an opportunity to do so? Sort of the idea that since a war and a series of issues like supply chain and labor shortages and weather events and the covid fall out are causing a perfect storm at the grocery store, why not exploit it? Are we failing to make sensible adjustments to our production of food to keep the AOC crowd happy?

Or am I just needing to adjust my tin foil?
I reckon your tin foil hat sits about the same as mine ;)

The thing with plant based diets: the most efficient and reliably affordable fertilizer (for organic production) is blood and bone meal. These are byproducts from the stockyards. If a reduction in animal proteins is forced, it will have a subsequent increase in the cost of the “plant based diet”. Having a sustainable ag degree and understanding the cost of growing, this subsequent increase could be significantly greater than any reduction on the other side.

I once asked the question of my professor: is organically grown produce that uses blood meal or bone meal fertilizer vegan?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Humans were first vegans,...
You're ignorant enough to repeat that?...Please document your claim.

H.habilis--> H.erectus--> H. sapiens...all left behind weapons & hand tools consitent with a hunting/carnivorous lifestyle. The earliest sapiens even documented it with cave paintings.

A common ancestor evolved bipedalism. They evolved further into the Austrapithicine herbivorous line which went extinct early on, and the carnivorous Homonid line (us)..Ample, indesputabe evidence in the fossil record of dentiton....I suppose if we go back far enough, we can claim our ancestors ate only primordial slime by phagocyctosis.

Evolution occurs in a network of interdependence-- which came first, the pollinator or the pollen?..They co-evolved. Same with meat eating and large brain/manual dexterity....

We owe our humanity to the carnivorous lifestyle...Vegans can only live healthy lives today by relying on a modern sysytem of food production and transportation.

If someone be wants to be a vegan, fine...but don't give us this holier-than-thou crap about the environment or ignore the fact that plants communicate and react to noxious stimuli ("suffer"). They scream when you abort their babies too. Vegans are just not sharp enough to hear them.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I make a mean egg plant parm
Arrrghh!!..Egg plant parmesan!~Slowly I turned. Step by step. Inch by inch....

I used to go with an Italian immigrant chic. After we were seeing each other steadily for a while, she invited me over for Sunday dinner to meet her folks. The mother made egg plant parmesan. I don't like egg plant parmesan. I politiely forced myself to swallow it... Ma asks "Come son'?" (How do you like it?).."Oh, molto delicioso! Mi piace molto!"...I got egg plant parmesan every Sunday for the next two months before I begged the chic to tell her Ma I hate egg plant parmesan.

That girl had a lot going for her, but I finally stopped seeing her--- She talked so much, I once heard a Jehova's Wittness beg her to shut up. It was a real hoot to see her try to bargain and haggle price at the Sears and PigglyWiggly.

·
Registered
40,277 Posts
Arrrghh!!..Egg plant parmesan!~Slowly I turned. Step by step. Inch by inch....

I used to go with an Italian immigrant chic. After we were seeing each other steadily for a while, she invited me over for Sunday dinner to meet her folks. The mother made egg plant parmesan. I don't like egg plant parmesan. I politiely forced myself to swallow it... Ma asks "Come son'?" (How do you like it?).."Oh, molto delicioso! Mi piace molto!"...I got egg plant parmesan every Sunday for the next two months before I begged the chic to tell her Ma I hate egg plant parmesan.

That girl had a lot going for her, but I finally stopped seeing her--- She talked so much, I once heard a Jehova's Wittness beg her to shut up. It was a real hoot to see her try to bargain and haggle price at the Sears and PigglyWiggly.
I love egg plant

·
newfieannie
10,663 Posts
i've never eaten eggplant. i see it at the grocers . i see so many veggies there haven't got a clue how to cook or eat them. i bought artichokes one time for a church dinner. made a casserole. didn't last anytime. best i can do is eat a few car. and parsnip and that's mostly in soup. onions i can eat those sauteed and put on home made bread. cabbage bothers me so i dont buy it anymore. something i really liked was cabbage hash. swiss chard i can eat. i planted a couple rows last night. ~Georgia

81 - 100 of 110 Posts