Homesteading Forum banner
41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,237 Posts
People are not fussing because their stomachs are full. Cheese pizza is good, chili beans are good, meat is good. If one gets hard to find then something else can be eaten.

Things might get bad in some countries, but Americans are pretty complacent about food

·
Registered
877 Posts
We usually sell all our bulls but I think we’re holding all bulls from this year and were going to castrate them and then butcher them when they are a year old . We usually sell for some money but beef is so expensive its forcing us to do stuff we never do and these aren’t cheep cattle we’re eating . But we have no other option.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
We usually sell all our bulls but I think we’re holding all bulls from this year and were going to castrate them and then butcher them when they are a year old . We usually sell for some money but beef is so expensive its forcing us to do stuff we never do and these aren’t cheep cattle we’re eating . But we have no other option.
No shame in eating a few.

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
a friend transitioned to all grass fed beef he now needs very little for tractors , depending how much he hires out to a custom hay operation mostly a skid steer and 1 tractor

he has a few but none huge

he feeds bails all winter and all summer from about May 1 to Nov 1 he is rotational grazing and cutting hay

his fertilizer is really minimal the beef is good , the sheep come through after the cattle and then the poultry very Joe Salitain style

he is making a living at it

cattle move every other day , one wire is all that moves so two people and a small truck carry all the equipment needed to move them every day and set up the next wire and take down the old wire he had a side by side utv but it became cheaper to use an old jeep when the transition went out on the UTV as the old jeep parts could be sourced at a local junk yard

he is building soil rather than eroding it it works and it works long term
Feedlots didn;t come into vogue until the late 60s. Prior to that, almost all beef was "grass finshed.": Some of us liked that meat better than the miodern stuff.
If plant based meat is so good why do they make it taste like beef?
Precisely. It woulld seem that the same @#%^ who decrie the use of herbicides, pesticides and GMO also seem ti think plastic, lab-produced food is OK...Do they use their brains at all?
Thanks all! I admit I was not thinking so much about beef. Thinking about what grain is costing my friends who raise chickens and sell eggs. And about the dairy folks.
Commodity prices for the protein group are quite low now because porducers are selling off early to reduce their exposure to the high input costs of maintaining herds, caused by inflation in gerneral- particularly fuel prices....Price of meat in stores are high due to the same inflationary pressures-- most of which is artificialy, purposely induced by govt policy....

Some of preducted that the govt would come after the food supply next in their attemopt to gain complete control. Agenda 21.

·
Registered
6,409 Posts
Do I think there is a conspiracy? Don't know. All I know is consuming a whole food, plant-based diet is the best thing health-wise that I have ever done for myself. Been living this lifestyle for over 4 years. Do I want to force my lifestyle on others? No.
My sentiments, exactly.

Reactions: CC Pereira

·
Registered
9,196 Posts
Beef is kind of a stupid waste of resources really. Animals that are at optimum slaughter weight inside a growing season are much smarter in a grass input system. For jillions of years we drank the milk, vealed the bull calves that we didn't need for oxen, and made stew with cull cows.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Re my use of conspiracy theory: not everything that happens is because some evil person somewhere conpired to make it happen. Who was the conspirator who sent bubonic plague on the world? Or hanta virus? Or the flu of 1918? Who conspired to cause Krakatoa to blow its lid when it did? Or Etna?

I was saying that given covid happened and no matter who what when how, it has affected us with a worker shortage and worldwide supply chain issues. Same with the war in Ukraine. Add in bird flu. Add in under both dems and gop we have chosen to rely on "them" "over there" to deal with the nasty pollution and low wages and provide for "us" both in terms of products and inputs. We do have global warming, although we could argue all day if it is manmade or natural. Either way, it is affecting the water cycle and affecting crops. Now we have a perfect storm of situations that may lead to food shortages, are driving prices higher, and may put meat out of reach of many folks.

I am asking, since it appears we have some options available to mitigate these effects a tad, why aren't we? And wondering if it is to further the "green" agenda.

As to a total veg diet, I did it for a while. It did not do my body well. Blood sugar rose, got insulin resistance, and it triggered osteoporosis. My doc insists I not have that much fiber (not always a good thing for women) and plenty of meat, fish, or dairy protein. There is some evidence it is also worse for brain bleeds. But gotta admit....I do love my beans!

·
Registered
544 Posts
We never could afford to eat the cattle we raised.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
If your raising butcher quality beef how can you buy processed beef cheaper than eat your own product ?
Feed costs and butchering costs? The butchering costs are astronomical around here. Last time I used a butcher was for a pair of pigs and when I crunched the numbers the butchering when it was all said and done was half of the total input costs (not including fencing because it was there already).
If raising a 4-H animal especially, I could absolutely see how the inputs would make the meat more expensive than just buying from a store.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Back when the minimum wage was $2.75 per hour, my father bought a chest freezer. Actually he financed it at Sears. Then we butchered our own beef, and filled it up. Years later when he died, that old freezer was still full. One of my brothers has it now, and it is his turn to keep it full.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Back when the minimum wage was $2.75 per hour, my father bought a chest freezer. Actually he financed it at Sears. Then we butchered our own beef, and filled it up. Years later when he died, that old freezer was still full. One of my brothers has it now, and it is his turn to keep it full.
My father did the same thing. Our freezer lasted about six months. When it went out Sears offered to sell us a new one. We didn't need it then. Everything we had in the other one went bad.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
My father did the same thing. Our freezer lasted about six months. When it went out Sears offered to sell us a new one. We didn't need it then. Everything we had in the other one went bad.
My dad's old freezer quit running a few times. He replaced the compressor with one he salvaged at the town dump. Nothing lasts forever.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I see your netting. I was using that. I am now using two strands of polly. Much easier to put up and take down. And cheaper
I use one strand inside the HT fences. This is just my front yard for the ewes/lambs. There are boogers about the netting keeps out.

41 - 60 of 110 Posts