Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can definitely understand that meat is going to be in shorter supply, and cost more, for a while. Our meat industry is heavily grain dependent and with the Ukraine/Russia war grain is in short supply. And then again we are making plans to burn a lot of it as fuel due to oil shortages.

The thing that has me scratching my head and my spidey senses going off, and I am NOT into conspiracy theories, is our national complacency about those issues. Could it be that this situation, while not invented to force us off meat, is being seen as an opportunity to do so? Sort of the idea that since a war and a series of issues like supply chain and labor shortages and weather events and the covid fall out are causing a perfect storm at the grocery store, why not exploit it? Are we failing to make sensible adjustments to our production of food to keep the AOC crowd happy?

Or am I just needing to adjust my tin foil?

·
Registered
40,289 Posts
I can definitely understand that meat is going to be in shorter supply, and cost more, for a while. Our meat industry is heavily grain dependent and with the Ukraine/Russia war grain is in short supply. And then again we are making plans to burn a lot of it as fuel due to oil shortages.

The thing that has me scratching my head and my spidey senses going off, and I am NOT into conspiracy theories, is our national complacency about those issues. Could it be that this situation, while not invented to force us off meat, is being seen as an opportunity to do so? Sort of the idea that since a war and a series of issues like supply chain and labor shortages and weather events and the covid fall out are causing a perfect storm at the grocery store, why not exploit it? Are we failing to make sensible adjustments to our production of food to keep the AOC crowd happy?

I have beef for sale. I will always have beef for sale.

Is there a concerted effort to replace animal protein with plant protein? Absolutely there is.

·
Registered
40,289 Posts

·
Registered
40,289 Posts
Do I think there is a conspiracy? Don't know.
It is a matter of semantics. Maybe "conspiracy" is the wrong word. There is a concerted effort to move people off of beef to plant based protein. It is driven primarily by those claiming beef contributes to climate change.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
The thing that has me scratching my head and my spidey senses going off, and I am NOT into conspiracy theories, is our national complacency about those issues. Could it be that this situation, while not invented to force us off meat, is being seen as an opportunity to do so?

I'm not into conspiracy theories either, but I don't like depending on others for much of anything. I decided before I started to be as self contained as possible. It took several years but I ended up with two milk cows... and a bull, two sows... and a boar, 12 sheep... and a ram, 50 hens... and 7 roosters and so on. They all breed, birth and raise their own. My only input is limiting access and help if there's a birthing problem.

The only way I'll ever have to eat that crap is if they come and forcibly remove my critters... and they'll have to want them awfully bad to try.

BTW... if you're having issues with your hat... try degaussing it every month or so... seems the high frequency radio waves collect sometimes and start causing feedback :)

eta:

don't forget these guys...

Dog Carnivore Organism Fawn Dog breed

·
newfieannie
10,667 Posts
i woudn't doubt it. the vegetarians and the vegans are lovin it at least the militant ones and dont think there aren't any. i'd rather tangle with a grizzly than some of them. most meat i eat is venison . love chicken and fish. that's what i live on. tried some of that beyond meat. dumped the rest. i'll try most anything once. you couldn't pay me to eat that stuff. ~Georgia

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
It is a matter of semantics. Maybe "conspiracy" is the wrong word. There is a concreted effort to move people off of beef to plant based protein. It is driven primarily by those claiming beef contributes to climate change.
Grain fed beef might be difficult to justify, that grain could feed a lot of humans. However, grazing animals utilize marginal lands that would otherwise not be producing any food for us

·
SM Entrepreneuraholic
16,991 Posts

Think bigger. The question I ask myself is could these problems have been foreseen and actions taken to minimize them? The answer is always yes. If the answer is yes, then the government and other power centers must want them to happen.

The newest is an electricity shortage. Who could have foreseen they wouldn't have the batteries to store wind and solar power? Who could have foreseen that you shouldn't close old plants using coal and gas until the replacement plants were up and producing? Who could have foreseen that plants are down sometimes for maintenance? And on and on.

Read about why there is a baby formula shortage. Again, very preventable.

Biden could have turned the oil companies loose to produce more oil and approved the pipeline, but he didn't. Ukraine has grain ready to be shipped and no way to get it out of the country. Why not send in ships under a UN flag and get it out?

The fertilizer shortage has been known for months if not longer. Is our government taking any actions to address the problem? None that I have read about.

So yes, this is mostly a manmade problem and our government is complicit if not the driving force behind it.

·
Registered
40,289 Posts
Grain fed beef might be difficult to justify, that grain could feed a lot of humans. However, grazing animals utilize marginal lands that would otherwise not be producing any food for us
I only grain finish at the customer's request.

·
Premium Member
18,381 Posts
i woudn't doubt it. the vegetarians and the vegans are lovin it at least the militant ones and dont think there aren't any. i'd rather tangle with a grizzly than some of them. most meat i eat is venison . love chicken and fish. that's what i live on. tried some of that beyond meat. dumped the rest. i'll try most anything once. you couldn't pay me to eat that stuff. ~Georgia
You couldn't pay me to eat Beyond Meat or an Impossible Burger either.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
A couple points--

American beef is heavily grain dependent, but it doesn'rt have to be. RJ's point about using land that is of little value for crops is quite valid, too. Eating meat is a measure of high standard of living.

Political & weather effects on the wheat market will be heavy this coming year. It's only a problem for the northern African countries where the diet consists mostly of bread.. EACH Egyptian, for instance, eats the equivalent to about 2.5 loaves of Wonder Bread each day (!!)....Little wheat is fed to our protein producing animals.

The "meat is bad for the environment" is crap also meant only to cause panic aong the poorly educated (See Alinsky's Rules for Radicals)... As I've pointed out here before, on a molar basis, ch4 is 100 x stronger as a GHG than co2, and co2 is 10x stronger than h2o, BUT--there's 100x more h2o in the atm than co2, and there's 10,000x more co2 than ch4..

.I won't bother mentioniing that ch4 is quickly turned to co2 in our oxydnizing atm, that the C involved is not newly mobilized from sequestered stores (so it doesn't ADD any co2 to the air) or that virtually all the wavelengths of heat that can be abosrbed by h20,and co2 are being absorbed by them already, and those are the same wavelengths that can be absorbed by ch4, so there's none left for the ch4 after the co2 & h20 get filled up (extinctioin iof absorbtion)....The "methane problem" does not exist.

It's all about creating panic to acquire control....and we're smarter than that. More & more Americans are realizing it's all lies.

·
Registered
14,393 Posts
You couldn't pay me to eat Beyond Meat or an Impossible Burger either.
My son brought home a bag of Impossible burgers and didn't tell me what they were. I can say it was no worse than a typical soggy bun mystery meat burger.
I wouldn't pay what they want for one.
I have also eaten the plant based "chicken". What I have had is very good.

·
Super Moderator
10,581 Posts
a friend transitioned to all grass fed beef he now needs very little for tractors , depending how much he hires out to a custom hay operation mostly a skid steer and 1 tractor

he has a few but none huge

he feeds bails all winter and all summer from about May 1 to Nov 1 he is rotational grazing and cutting hay

his fertilizer is really minimal the beef is good , the sheep come through after the cattle and then the poultry very Joe Salitain style

he is making a living at it

cattle move every other day , one wire is all that moves so two people and a small truck carry all the equipment needed to move them every day and set up the next wire and take down the old wire he had a side by side utv but it became cheaper to use an old jeep when the transition went out on the UTV as the old jeep parts could be sourced at a local junk yard

he is building soil rather than eroding it it works and it works long term

1 - 20 of 110 Posts