forced blooming of plants

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Jan 8, 2004.

1. My sister and I are starting a greenhouse business. We would like to have some flowers ready by Easter or Mothers Day. Can anyone tell me how to force bloom flowers?

2. Aohtee

Aohtee Well-Known Member

What type of plants? Most of what you find available for that time frame are bulbs. They need anywhere from 14 weeks to 20 weeks from planting date to bloom. There are spring blooming shrubs but again they need a long preparation time.

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

:haha: Such a big question while giving us such a small amount of information to work with.

Where are you? Is the greenhouse heated? What kind of flowers are you wishing to "force bloom"?

If you start seeds now of gerbera daisy, geraniums, pansies and snap dragons and have the right growing conditions, some could be in bloom by mother's day. Are you wishing to sell planters? Plants? Do you have a source for bulbs to force?

4. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

theres a fine older book called "commercial flower forcing" i forget the name of the author but it goes crop by crop and tells everything u need to know.

if u really mean to start a business, probably u ought to do some serious research. mistakes can be expensive.

5. Aohtee

Aohtee Well-Known Member

Get a copy of Ball Red Book. The 16th edition is $90.00 but Amazon has older editions starting below $10.00. This book will show you how to set up a greenhouse. T.M. Taylor's "Greenhouse Business" picks up where Ball leaves off . He shows you how to make a profit. If you're serious about Christmas and Easter sales, the "Holland Bulb Forcers Guide" lays out the schedules for most of the popular bulbs. The 5th edition is $100.00 but again amazon has a copy for $30.00.

6. Thanks for the info. We live is SC and the greenhouse will be heated. We are in the process of setting it up now. We are wanting info to force bloom bulb plants. Have never really had any luck in having them bloom in pots. Thanks for the book suggestions. I will try to get them so I can refer back to them. My memory at times is short. Again thank you for your replies