foraging forum?

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by wizzard, May 3, 2005.

1. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

i dont know if im allowed to ask this.... some forums will not allow you to mention other forums, but im gonna try anyways. and if im not allowed, please delete this thread

is there a forum that anyone knows of that is dedicated to identifying wild edible plants? i would like to learn quite a bit more about foraging, and many times i think i know what a plant is, but am not going to take a bite of it in case it is poisonouse. i would at least like to be able to take pictures and get a second oppinion before i try it.

i looked at some similar topics here, but it seems that there are a lot of mixed answers. someone else posted a topic with pics and it looked like they got 5 different answers for 1 plant..... any suggestions?

2. Wildcrofthollow

Wildcrofthollow Well-Known Member

Hi Wizzard,

No I don't know of a foraging forum(though i seem to remember a wild foods forum?). Plants are very diverse (as I'm sure you realize if you are out looking at them) I look at the pictures here on this forum and sometimes don't recognize even plants that I am thoroughly familiar with. Different genetic strains and growing conditions make a huge difference.

I do have a suggestion though, one that helped me considerably when I was just beginning to expand my foraging to the lesser known (lesser used) plants etc. Get a copy of Peterson's Venomous animals and poisonous plants. Learn all the plants in your area that are really gonna kill you/make you sick as a dog. (most plants are not poisonous) Peterson's field guide to edible plants is very complete and would be an excellent addition to any library. Once you know the poisonous ones you can pretty much taste anything else with impunity. Human diets were once much more inclusive than they are now. Many wild plants taste bitter to the modern human palate that were not only acceptable but sought out in more ancient times.

Many plants are medicinal, and the line between medicinal and edible and poisonous can be blurry. For instance Stinging nettle (Urtica dioica) is considered poisonous (because of the stinging hairs on the stems and leaves) but is one of the best edibles out there (if cooked). It is also medicinal ( used for its vitamins, it is alterative, and can help to relieve allergy symptoms).

Fear is one of the main things that keep people from getting to know and love the plants of their area. There are a few out there to be feared, but only a few. Those few are easily identifiable and once you get to know them you can stay out of their way without any trouble.

Hope this helps....

3. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

sounds good.... it will help me find stuff to eat in the wild.

i would however also like to know the names of some plants. maybe i will post those that i think will be easy to identify on this forum and see what the general mass says.

thanx for your help :)

4. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

wizzard -
    can you take photos of various plants you see and want to know if suitable for forage? If so post them here, and ask about them and usages.

I'm mod here, and I don't know nearly as much as some of the posters, so we could all learn and it seems a good use of space.

Angie

5. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

6. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i agree about the peterson guides. start with what is in your own back yard. it often helps if a plant is in bloom. you will be amazed what is growing right outside your door. i also believe if there is a strong stand of medicinal herbs near a path or doorway, it can be a clue to a person's health needs.

7. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I was interested in foraging years ago, and that is how I stumbled across the original homesteaders website.

I have lots of wild edibles in my area. Learned about most of them through a botony class at Palomar College. I was amazed at all the stuff 'in my own backyard' that I could munch on, barring no critter wet it down, first!!!

I would be very interested in a thread or forum for this.

8. healing herbals

healing herbals Pam in OK

What state are you in?

9. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

im in western kentucky. near missouri and tennessee.

10. Tamar

Tamar Well-Known Member

Hi there.

My husband teaches Wilderness survival, do a google on Ron Hood, he has a wonderful forum, and I belong to a yahoo group that I learn from daily!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ForageAhead/

Enjoy!

Tamar