forageing for the pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by jerzeygurl, Oct 11, 2005.

1. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

:shrug: last year i remember posts about hickory nuts and walnuts for pigs to eat, how bout hedge apples, the cows love them as do the squirrels, but i dont want my pork to taste like one

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

What's a hedge apple? Anyway the myths about feed flavoring meat are just that, myths.

3. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

:cowboy: Sorry they are osage orange really. hedge tree is slang cause they make great posts. just wondering if feeding them that and walnuts ect will build up any toxicity. btw they are potbellies, dont guess that matters except for size.

we have loads of osage orange (hedge)hedge trees walnut trees and hickory trees, and always think that free and natural food is the best suplement to corn if possible.

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Don't know about hedge apples. But I saw an overgrown orchard with REAL apples in it. Looked up the tax records online, called the owner and asked if I could pick fruit, and came home with 250 to 300 pounds of apples for my piggies! I love free feed! I plan to visit some U-pick pumpkin patches to arrange for November 1 gleaning, too.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

I believe the fruit of the osage is poisonous, but not positive about that

found this site that says they are not poisonous http://www.osagehedgeballs.com/faq.htm

another site http://www.gpnc.org/osage.htm
    sounds like the main reason they are not used as feed is the only thing that likes them is squirrels. Haven't found any evidence that they are poisonous like I was told as a kid......but then I was told a LOT of stuff as a kid that was just plain wrong

6. jerzeygurl

jerzeygurl woolgathering

i always thought they were poisonous as well, but nobody seemed to tell that to our cows, its a strange site to see them knawing on a whole one