For women only!!! Guys don't read.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jodi, May 11, 2004.

1. Jodi

Jodi Well-Known Member

Hi Ladies:

I was wondering how many of you use cloth sanitary protection? I first read about them here and have ordered some off the internet. (I'd make them myself, but do not sew) I'm not sure what I want to ask about them, I guess I just want to know if they are a pain to wash and deal with. I am tired of spending all the $$$ on store bought ones.

I have also seen info on the "Keeper". If anyone here uses it...is it comfortable? Does it really work?

Sorry if any guys have read this.....you might say..TMI!!!!! (but, I warned you)

Jodi

2. Strange Bear

Strange Bear Well-Known Member

I have used both. I find that the Keeper is comfortable, though it took awhile to learning how to insert an remove it. I think for most people it is a matter of the ick factor. I don't mind either at all but many people can't stand ick factor at all.

3. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Keeper user here.. but only SOMETIMES. I ordered pre Y2K.. two sizes.. I like the smaller(est) one better.. but can't really VISUALLY see the difference. :confused:

The only discomfort is the little pull thingy (on the reg. size) .. I think I'll trim it.. Problem solved.

Otherwise.. I LOVE IT!!! (GOD I hope no guys reading!!) :eek: Oh, well. their misfortune.. here goes!!!

Two is better than one. Can exchange on the 'change'. Works MUCH better than tampons.. never a 'leak'. (But use liner just in case if move weird maybe a drop!)

Um... this is much preferable to ANY thing I would have to wash... ewww.. just pull the plug.. (with tp) let drain in toilet.. set on more tp. Insert new one.. Rinse in hot water, let dry.. do it all again.

The 'products' in the cup.. are fresh and red... not old, brown and dead, like tampons and pads. I feel much cleaner.

Okay... I also feel very brave!!! LOL!! Hope this helps.

4. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

I haven't used the cloth ones and have no opinion on them, but I do think the Keeper is unhealthy. Our systems are designed to flush, to flow, to drain every month. I don't think it is a good idea to block the flow for hours at a time. I would think you might have bacterial complications.

5. Montana Mom

Montana Mom Well-Known Member

I use scrapped cloth diapers cut into appropriate sized strips. I've heard about "The Keeper" but I am leery of putting toxic plastics into my body (I assume that the keeper is plastic or something similarly toxic)

I wash the "rags" with the regular wash, usually with the non-whites just to be safe. I've noticed my flow is much shorter/milder since I stopped eating meat and other junk so its almost a non-issue.

HTH

6. RAC

RAC Guest

The Keeper used to be made of natural rubber, don't know if it still is. If you are allergic to latex that would be a problem. The Diva cup looks identical except that it is made of some clear material (silicone?).

If you have a very heavy flow, they will leak, like anything else, if you don't change (tampons, napkins, etc.) or empty (the Keeper) on a more frequent basis. I like the Keeper--you can also just empty and reinsert. Great for backpacking and travel. I agree on using a liner of some sort.

I think the cloth pads are expensive. What works also is an old running sock (the kind people used to wear when playing tennis where there's no cuff). Thick cotton ones are better here.

Hold sock so that you are facing the foot, heel at the the top. Fold the top (where the hem is) down in back. Tack down or not, as you wish--instant pad.

7. Strange Bear

Strange Bear Well-Known Member

The Keeper is rubber. I made my cloth pads out of several layers of white flannel. They have lasted several years. Both are more comfortable for me than tampons or pads.

8. Montana Mom

Montana Mom Well-Known Member

Rubber, silicone...don't want that anywhere near my cervex, thank you very much :D

I guess my bottomline advice is to use something already in your home (old socks, old cloth diapers, etc) rather than buy into something new. If it makes you feel fancier cut several layers to look like "pads" and stitch them together. :)

9. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Depending on one's flow a pad can be as simple as an absorbent paper towel rolled over several layers of toilet tissue. Instant disposable that is Earth friendly. These work fine for me every day after the second day of my period. I was thinking about using tube socks for my heavy days- thanks for your input RAC.

10. Jodi

Jodi Well-Known Member

Thank you, ladies, for all the advice and recommendations! I have actually ordered some cloth pads to try and the Diva cup to try. I also found a ladies website on how to make your own pads. I need to get a sewing machine for that, though. Me and sewing machines have never gotten along...but, maybe it's time for me to try again. Might have to look into an inexpensive one to dabble on.

Thanks again! And, thanks for the sock idea. Never thought of that!

Jodi

11. Urban Dreamer

Urban Dreamer Active Member

Jodi,
    can you share the web site you found about making your own?

i also wondered about the keeper, but never got around to buying one.

what do you ladies do with the homemade or cloth pads when you change them out? wrap in something? put in purse? ( i don't carry a purse). do they seem to have that sorta 'dried blood' smell until you can wash them out?

12. LWMSAVON

LWMSAVON Well-Known Member

13. JessicaCat

JessicaCat Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone here, I started using cloth pads about 6 months ago.

I only spent about $10-$15 to make my own, and wound up with 15 of them which is more than enough for me.

I bought 2-3 yards of white flannel, and one yard of coca cola table cloth for the inside line :) and some velcro for the "wings".

When I need to change, I rinse them out in cold water and a little soap and scrub. 99.9% of the time it all comes out in the rinse. Then I keep them in a small pail with cold water and a little detergent until I do my whites. They can be put in a dryer on low to medium and no melting :)

I have to thank all of you who turned me onto this. The money Im saving is incredible. Now I just need a substitute for Midol :)

JessicaCat

14. and I will never go back to store bought pads again. After 5 kids tampons just are not comfortable to me anymore. Store bought pads of any kind rub me raw...always have. So instead of dishing out $$ I just took a bought one and used it to make my own. I used fleece on the back of them and have had no leaks. My flow is heavy to say the least. One thing I have noticed since I switched is that I don't cramp anywhere like I used to and instead of 6-7 days I'm down to 4-5. It's not that big of a deal to wash them. I throw them in a bucket and just toss them in. My 2 teenage dd's are even using them now and like them better too. Best part is the $$ I'm saving every month.

15. Jodi

Jodi Well-Known Member

16. I used a sponge for a while. It was quite effective until my flow started to get heavier, so I gave up. They were natural sea sponges. Can't remember the internet company I ordered them from, it was quite a while ago. It's just another option but more natural feeling than the keeper.
    T

17. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Ah, yes, riding the cotton pony...I had a VERY heavy flow- like thru a super tampon and overflowing a super pad every hour on the hour for the first 48-72 hours...I wasn't wearing pads at night because they were useless, just a stack of towels on the bed- I have no sewing machine and am totally non sewing so this is what I did- (thinking back on my welfare mother days when my flow was so minimal I just used a couple washclothes stuffed down my panty)
    1. Went to the dollar store and bought a waterproof baby lap pad and a pack of a dozen flannel 12inch by 12 inch cloths.
    2. Went to the fabric store and bought a remnant of about 2 feet of polarteclike non cotton fleece.
    3. Went home. Trimmed the lap pad into 5 pieces sized like a super pad. This became the base. Foldered 2 washclothes on top. Folded 1-2 flannel cloths on top. Cut several pieces from the polaetec like fleece and added that on top at night.
    No, I don't wear skin tight jeans. It worked with my loosefitting pants. The stains have a hard time coming out but I don't use those cloths for anything else. I had moderate cramps in the past, which went away when I started wearing the cloth.
    Someday I will relate the story of the keeper like deviceand the 4 day Boy Scout Canoe Trip through the Okeefenokee Swamp....

18. Greenwitch

Greenwitch Member

I started using The Keeper at my gyno's recommendation 10 years ago. Still have the same one and never a problem. It has saved me a fortune by not having to buy commerical pads or tampons. It is also great if you travel to countries that are clueless about women's cycles (ie: India or Asia). It is 100% safe and no odor like with cotton pads. You do have to be comfortable with your body to use it. You can get more information at: www.thekeeper.com or www.divacup.com.

19. Peg

Peg Well-Known Member

I made my own several years ago and although they're getting a little frayed around the edges (just zigzaged the edges), they still work fine. I used a dark red-colored fabric, so I can't see it if they are a little stained! I may be throwing them away pretty soon as I seem to be going menopausal (said in the same way as "going postal").

20. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

Peg - "the seem to be " stage of menapause can last a lonnnnnngggg time!

Now, to the Keeper/Diva cup.... I bought the Diva, its silicone and I'm allergic to latex in the Keeper. I've never been succesful at wearing/insertion yet. No children, but over 30, with very heavy flow so I didn't dare get the smaller size. But I should have. But everyone says there's not much difference in the size. I've never been comfortable while wearing tampons either but I thought that was the super aborbency thing causing the problems. I guess not. :(

Does wearing the 'homemade' products really lessen flow and cramps? Really?

Thank goodness this doesn't happen every month anymore. I've skipped at least three a year for the last 4. I'm ready to be done with this.

Life is good! :) :) :)
    Halo