For women only: does pre-menopause....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cc-rider, Aug 26, 2006.

1. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

....feel like being pregnant????

Within the last two months...I'm absolutely exhausted all the time, my stomach is puffy, I've gained 5 pounds in the last 2 months (I'm 140# now), my breasts are sore, I feel nauseous often, and my last period was June 8.

If it wasn't that I'm 48, I'd think I was pregnant!!!!!

Well, that, and it would be a major miracle for that to happen considering I can't remember the last time I had sex. MAYBE....MAYBE within the last couple months???? Actually, I was pretty nervous a week ago so did a home pregnancy test...which was negative, obviously.

I had a normal pap a month ago and told the doctor I was starting to experience irregular periods. He said it was normal for my age....just approaching menopause. But he didn't tell me it'd feel like this!!!

Is this normal???

2. Cheryl in SD

Cheryl in SD Living in the Hills Supporter

I am 45, and yep, it has felt like that here too! I keep my symptoms under control with natural progesterone cream. You might try that.

3. RedHairedBonnie

RedHairedBonnie Well-Known Member

Sorry, but it is not uncommon-I refuse to say normal-each of us handle it differently. I did find that fresh squeezed fruit juice will help with night sweats, and hot flashes. If you get a chance to see medopause the musical, do so, you will feel so much better about the whole process. My husband never laughed so hard.

4. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

It's possible you are pregnant, so do another test to find out for sure. My grandmother was 53 when she had my mother (and wasn't too happy about it, either!).

I never felt any of the symptoms you describe when going through the menopause. It's different for every woman, though, and these symptoms aren't unusual. You don't have to put up with any of it, you know. There's HRT, and there are herbs to help, and any doctor who says you just have to suffer because it's normal, ought to be shot at dawn!

It's possible to bleed while pregnant. I did it in several of my pregnancies; in one of them, every month right to the end (and it ended with a live and healthy baby, unlike some of the more 'normal' pregnancies). A very much reduced flow and only for a day or two, but if I'd relied on 'lack of menstruation' as a guide to whether I was pregnant or not, I'd have lost all bets.

5. carly

carly on winged flight...

I went through the pause and didn't have any symptoms at all. My period happened for one day on my birthday, stopped for a year and on the next birthday happened again, for one day! Then stopped altogether. I have never had any other symptoms, no sweats, no tiredness----quite the opposite; when I stopped periods I gained so much more energy, and I was already very active. I just felt great and still do. I will be 60 4 sept and go to the gym 3 nites a week, plus excercise every day.

My mother only lived to 53, so I don't know a thing about her pause.....
    I feel for gals that go through it, it cannot be much fun.

6. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

They are exactly what are described as "pre-menopausal" symptoms...they may go on for years before actual menopause. The changing of hormones can affect so many different parts of our body differently. The progesterone cream is the best reccommendation though...there was a woman on Oprah one day saying that all you need is a cream with 2% progesterone in it....it helps "take the foot off the pedal"....here in Oz I am yet to find any such cream...so if you have it available in USA grab it and use it....small dab on your wrists. This particular woman wrote a book, cant remember the title...sounded worth while having and reading though...sort of like the "Everywoman" bible of growing up.

7. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, no one warns you of the vast and varied symptoms that menopause can bring on. Women in my family get to suffer horrible, long-term symptoms after having horrible long-term, heavy periods in mid-life. Do you get any help from doctors other than a hysterictomy for the periods? Do you want to hear some of the possible symptoms? Most people don't. Headaches, body-aches (like you have the flu), muscle spasms, muscle twitches, blotting, need to urinate a lot, dry skin, dry mouth, dry everything, change in texture of hair, weight gain, change in what tastes good, ringing in the ears, itching deep in the ears, sensitivity to high-pitch sounds, sensitivity to loud noises, flashes of light in eyes, decrease in close-up vision, eyes dry or water too much, skin looses it's elasticity and hangs, becomes thin and more susceptible to injury, skin wrinkles, had enough? I'm sure I've forgotten some, but don't worry, most women don't get all these, some lucky ones don't get most. Look to your mother and grandmother.

8. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Dunno about feeling like being pregnant - never had that experience - but I can relate to the tiredness! My "theme" song these days is "I'm tired, so tired, I'm tired . . . of waking up tired." I'll be 48 in October, my periods have been erratic for the last year and a half (since I attended my ex's funeral - come to think of it :shrug: ). My last one was in May, I think, and I'm not sure if I'm having mild hot flashes or it's just the temperature. ("Is it hot in here or is it just me?" LOL)

I went to the doctor a couple of times, when I'd had three heavy periods in the space of five weeks :grump: - waste of time. Ah well, it won't last forever.

9. Jaclynne

Jaclynne Well-Known Member Supporter

Ana Bluebird you forgot insomnia, forgetfulness, irritability, weird heart symptoms (w/ no basis) , night sweats, and body temp changes, etc, etc.

The heart symptoms were the scariest, I had umpteen dozen tests run this summer checking things out. There's nothing physically wrong with my heart( in fact, the doc says it looks 20 yrs younger than me!).( I'm not suggesting anyone ignore heart symptoms just because you are menopausal.)

The worst symptom is by far the morning nausea. Nothing like retching first thing in the morning!

10. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Check with an obgyn about new IUDs designed to help reduce or stop heavy periods. It has worked wonders for me so far - not that I needed birth control, but the need for period control was the issue. It has helped tremendously. No more migraines either ;)

11. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I hope you've been getting regular check-ups -- there's a lady who just posted over on TB2K that she'd been having symptoms like yours, thought it was just menopause, and it turned out to be heart failure. At least get a check-up and make sure everything is all right before assuming it's just the change of life starting.

Kathleen

12. fransean

fransean Well-Known Member

I've never been pregnant but when I was telling my older sister about some of the weird symptoms I have she said it sounds like being pregnant.
    I too have the breast soreness, in fact they seem to swell up during the day - feel like watermelons and "deflate" like pancakes in the evening. I am going to wear out my bra straps adjusting them so often! LOL
    From what I have read and experienced so far it seems that the beginning stages of perimenopause are when there is a decrease in progesterone production. It is not until the later stages or nearer to actual menopause that there is a decrease in estrogen production.
    My doctor talked to me about taking oral progesterone to get my periods back under control but for now I am taking supplements including flax seed oil, evening primrose oil and chasteberry to try to even things out. And when all else fails I have been giving myself "permission" for a time out away from everyone for a little deep breathing :)
    Those of us in our 40's now are so much more abt to ask questions and look for answers than say our mothers' generation. My mother thought I was too preoccupied with all this when I started asking her questions about her experience. I told her that I would rather do as much research as I could now so that if and when I experience the different symptoms I could make informed decisions.

Good Luck
    Bev

13. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Thank you for all the responses!!! That's the wonderful thing about this place.... I don't feel alone!

My grandmother died when she was 28, so I never knew her. My mother and I are not exactly close. There's no way in the world I could talk to her about anything. Even though she only lives about 1/2 hour away from me. I think.

Ditto with my siblings.

I don't have any close female friends, so I depend on you all!!! :) Thanks!

I went camping this week and forgot to take my Zyrtec (for allegies... I use it to control intense itching episodes). I slept a lot yesterday, but I had taken a benedryl, in addition to the Zyrtec, to control a bad episode in the morning. I didn't take a Zyrtec at night because I had forgotten to pack them. I woke up .... wide awake at 4:00 this morning!!! Finally fell back asleep and woke at 8:30 and have been awake and active all day. What a switch! I'll bet that Zyrtec has SOMETHING to do with the lethargy. At least part of it.

I'm going to try to find the progestrone cream, too. And I've got a doctor's appointment this week.... just to check out blood levels, etc. I'm prone to being anemic.

Isn't old age grand???! Not.

14. bunnypatch10

bunnypatch10 Well-Known Member

I started going through menopause at 48.....now 55 and still not through it.
    yeh, the weight gain, water retention, moodiness, everything that I went
    through when I was pregnant....Night sweats are horrible, I take an HRT
    and have tried to go off of it several times....no luck, can't get through
    the nightsweats. Tried herbs and some of that over the counter stuff...
    no luck there either. I guess I will take the HRT until I can go off of it
    without the "sweats". Fun being a woman.......I would love a man to
    go through this just one week.......LOL

15. mommagoose_99

mommagoose_99 Well-Known Member

THIS TOO SHALL PASS. I promise. I just hit 54 years and the night sweats and bloating are over with . Please take the time to get a mamogram , a bone density test and sign up for a yoga class :) Make sure everything is perfect and you are not prenant. My grandmother was a menopause baby . Her next oldest sibling was in his twenties when she was born. Gee its great not to have to buy feminine hygene products. whoopie