For wild bird lovers/feeders..recipe

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Raindancer, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Raindancer

Raindancer Well-Known Member

I so love feeding the wild birds, and have made this a number of times..the birds love it. Makes a nice, firm, long lasting seed treat. It works well if it's formed in a disposable, flat, plastic food storage container (or use whatever container you have for chilling in) and then placed in a tight fitting mesh onion bag for hanging. I can often find a container the same size as my wire suet feeders, which works great also. I coat inside of desired container with a little shortening or oil before filling for easier removal.

Stir two (1/4 oz. ea) envelopes of unflavored gelatin (into 1/4 C. of water in saucepan.
    Stir over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved and water is clear.
    Stir in about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 C of any combo of seeds you like (I often substitute oatmeal or/or cornmeal to the mix).
    Mix well so all is coated with liquid gelatin.
    Pack mixture firmly into container and chill until solid. Remove and set out for birds to enjoy:)

(21 degrees predicted overnight here in the deep south..as a transplanted Yankee girl, love a change to colder weather <short term, mind you!> and a chance to get a blazer going in the fireplace:) )

Dee

2. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I'm going to try it.
    Sounds less messy than using the suet.
    Thanks

3. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I used to buy black sunflower seed to feed the wild ones, but have learned now they prefer chicken rations! Its alot cheaper and they go wilder for it!

4. sapphira

sapphira Well-Known Member

chicken rations? What's in that? S.

5. sylvar

sylvar Well-Known Member

Yeah...I have been feeding scratch grains to mine....they love it

Sylvar

6. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

I get beef fat from the butcher, cut it up and render it down in a castiron dutch oven, then pour it over bird seed in a cake pan-which is the size of the wire mesh frame I made.The birds need the fat in the winter as well as the seed.

7. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

If you let your egg shells dry and then crush them as fine as you can with your hand, the birds will find the calcium in them of benefit. Just put them in a small pile under the feeder. Odd, but my turkey tom seems to prefer them the best.