For those whom sleep in chairs

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by moopups, Jan 3, 2007.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    I label this as 'guarded reality' people, a separation from their ability to rest, fully flung out on an out of a normal resting place. They are not seeking to go to bed, there is something that is brothering them that they cannot adequately grasp.

It is not my job or orientation to 'cure' this, just wished to understand better.. Your input is welcome and desired.

2. Speciallady

Speciallady Well-Known Member

who's sleeping??? I'm certainly not, I'm very angry. I will get over it after a few days of stewing, maybe, but for now, I choose to stay angry and not sleep

3. suzfromWi

suzfromWi Well-Known Member Supporter

Sometimes the bed is not a safe haven full of love and warmth. Sometimes the mind is still active altho the body has since shut down. Sometimes the mind needs rest but the body is jittery. Sometimes its just too much trouble to get out of the chair to go to the bed. I for one have none of these. I can ONLY sleep in my bed and that is a restless sleep at that.

4. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

Does one sleep in a chair or just pass out? My DM gets up out of bed to sleep in her chair stating her shoulder feels better and she can breath easier (medically I feel that is true). I can't sleep in a bed (for now or at least until I find a better mattress) for the joints slip out of the lower back and SI and I cannot get up out of the bed in the morning - but I can't sleep in the chair either..... kills the rest of me. I pass out on the couch and wake fresh, I crawl in the bed, I wake wanting drugs, a crane, a gun to put me out of my misery..... wake in the chair.... well just give me a BIG cup of coffee and asprin.

5. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

Maybe somepeople are accustomed to sleeping in chairs since childhood and find beds uncomfortable?

My oldest boys would rather sleep on the floor than their beds. When they were small, I didn't have beds for them, and now they prefer it that way.

6. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I gave up sleeping in the bed because I can't sleep on either side or my tummy. Therefore I sleep on my back with my mouth hanging open, snoring like a pig and drool on my cheek.

I have a recliner in the bedroom that I named my nest. It has a sheet and electric blanket with a small pillow for my back. I can sleep sitting up or reclining. Either way, I'm not snoring or drooling.

I'm not a good sleeper. I wake a lot and sometimes stay awake.

7. AR Cattails

AR Cattails Well-Known Member Supporter

My sister, who is 47, hasn't slept in a bed for years. She sleeps in a large recliner in her room. Her reasons...I don't really know. I know she is deaf, lost her hearing to spinal menegitis at age 13, she has had two strokes, has diabetes and snores very loudly. I don't believe any of those reasons are why she sleeps in a chair, though. When I've asked her why, she just tells me she likes to...she's not comfortable in a bed.

8. kevyb

kevyb Well-Known Member

it's usually my neck that is bothering me-----it hurts worse when i lay down, sometimes. so, unless i am drugged sufficiently to feel no pain or drugged enought to fall asleep rapidly, i quite often get up (and take my pills) and rock in my chair until i am very sleepy. then i recline and go to sleep. i'd sure rather be in my bed all the time!!

9. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Gosh, never thought about it having some deep seated reason.

When I was younger, I slept better on the floor. My old bones doesn't really get along with floors these days.

When I sleep in a chair, it is just that is where I am when sleep hits me. Sometimes it is in the car (if I am not driving), sometimes while reading a book, etc. Just old age.

10. Yeti

Yeti Well-Known Member

I did a couple of months of sleeping in a recliner while I healed from shoulder surgery. I also have acid reflux so it helped with that while I slept sitting up. My grandma slept in a chair for about 40 years. she claimed it helped her back. just a tip, when I was sleeping that way I only used a thin wool blanket. if I used a heavier one I would sweat and wake up a lot.

11. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an uncle who has slept in the recliner since he had open-heart surgery-20yrs ago! He says he breaths better and his back doesn't hurt. Maybe some people feel safe in their little nest.. I have children who love to sleep on the sofa, in a recliner or on the floor! They prefer these to a expensive mattress w/ a pillow top, a featherbed or a cheaper hard mattress (we have all these at our house) and at Christmas, I found these young adults on sofas, in chairs and on floors--sound a sleep, heads on pillows and mouths open!!!

12. Nan

Nan Well-Known Member

I slept in a recliner for the last 12 weeks of my last pregnancy...I went into early labor and for some reason...sitting at a 45 degree angle kept me from having her too early. My grandpa used to snooze in his recliner because he worked so hard that when he stopped moving for a few minutes he was out like a light! Lots of reasons why someone would sleep in a recliner or chair.

13. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I slept in a recliner for more yrs than I want to think about because of a back problem. Now I sleep in an electric hosp bed and it is much more comfortable.

14. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    You people are as weird as I am, comforting thoughts. I enjoy the two contact surfaces of a coutch.

15. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Snoring can be a sign of sleep apena. A C-PAP machine can correct this problem.Not all people with sleep apena are overweight,but some are and losing weight can help.

Me too.

16. kevyb

kevyb Well-Known Member

moopups----i know what you mean about enjoying the contact of 2 surfaces. sometimes being able to lean against the back of the couch for support while i am lying down really helps me to be comfortable. i didn't realize so many people slept in chairs!! before my stepfather died in november, he had such trouble with his knees that he didn't often go upstairs to the bedroom. he and my mother slept in the recliners in the living room for quite some time. now that he has passed, my mother has still been sleeping in the chair-----she says she has plans to get back up to her bedroom.

17. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

A year ago I went and got a Lazy E Boy reclinger JUST for Laying back to sleep in and for taking my nice afternoon naps in :rolleyes:
    although I do go and Sleep AT NIGHT in a bed, but that is not until after midnight or after :)
    Movies to fall asleep by, while watching, are great uses for the lazy E Boy's :cool: