For those who wash dishes by hand ~ A tip from my Mom

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by largentdepoche, Jan 17, 2007.

1. largentdepoche

largentdepoche Well-Known Member

You know that powder stuff they are selling called Greasebullet or something, Mom gave me a much more easy frugal idea.

Just use dishwasher detergent! A cheapo storebrand bag is cheap and does wonders!

I had baked on grease and dried cake stuck to a glass pan. I took about half a scoop of powder and added some warm water. I let it sit for about 10 minutes. The grease and dried stuff came right off! I rewashed the pan and it was fine!

Just a tip if you have stubborn stains and do dishes by hand.

Kat

2. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

Great tip! Thanks to mom...

3. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Do you wear gloves? I'd think that would be really harsh on your hands...

4. largentdepoche

Oh it didn't really mess up my hands at all, I just dumped the stuff out and then rewashed the dish with dishsoap like Palmolive. Due to the winter I cake my hands in lotion all the time lol.

Kat

5. largentdepoche

:D I'll be sure to tell her :D

Kat

6. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Wow, thanks for the tip.

7. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

How is the phosphate content on the stuff you're using? We have a septic system...

8. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

if it is a glass pan, I fill my roaster with water and boil the dish a bit and it comes right up!

If it is plastic, I use either bleach or comet/ajax/bon ami whatever is cheapest...

occasionally on glass, I will spritz oven cleaner on a spot...

Its nice to know something else to try though :)

9. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

caroline00 has a great idea that chefs use for pots that are NOT no-stick - deglaze them.

10. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    I just put hot water in it and let it sit till it just comes off(or the deglaze trick). If I need to scrape I use a spoon(cast iron or stainless steel). I noticed I dont' get dishpan hands with my well water, I did with town water.

11. js2743

js2743 Well-Known Member

DAWN works really well for this kinda stuff

12. desertrat - 1

desertrat - 1 Well-Known Member

Hmmm ..... maybe you touched on to something wyld thang . I 've noticed my hands are so sore , they are cracking and bleeding from doing dishes ....they are really hurting . I'm a mechanic so my hands are pretty tough . Also noticed my clothes are worse for wear and tear from laundry too . I mean like they are falling apart already . We have communal well water here where I live in the sticks and its real alkaline . I was thinking it was just the dryness here in AZ . Maybe its the water ??? I didnt notice it in CA where I lived last year and I did a whole lot more dishes and laundry over there . :shrug: .

Interesting

DR-1

13. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

i put water in the pan and set it on the stove until it starts steaming-loosens everything right up and it lets go.

14. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Arizona dryness is really tough on skin. I spent 10 years there and I even had the skin between my toes crack once. Ow. Use lots of lotion.

15. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We live off the grid so a dishwasher is pretty much out of the question. I've washing dishes by hand for 5 years now. (patting myself on the back for my fortitude :angel: ) One trick I found is to take a dryer sheet and put it in the pan with the cooked on residue and let hot water sit in it. It all comes right off after a few minutes.

16. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Has anyone used the Magic Bullets. I have been wondering if it could be used on aluminum?

From what they show, it isn't cooked on food, but burned on grease they are cleaning - or purporting to clean.

So anyone use it? I don't order stuff like that - since I am not ever sure if it really works. I like to find out if someone has actually tried it.

For grease on glass cookware, I use a SOS or Comet, etc. If it is really bad, I spray on oven cleaner and put it in a pastic bag overnight. The same with something stainless steel - not for aluminum.

My trick for handwashing is to use a little vinegar or citrus juice. WE bought some lime juice at the 'bargain' (surplus) store. I knew it was out of 'sell by' date, but thought it would be good for as long as it would last around here. When I poured some in a glass first, it was very brown and had a lot of icky sediment in it. I was going to throw it out, but decided to just put a capful in each pan of dishes. Since I am in a travel trailer, my sinks aren't large. It cuts the grease a lot better and also, the hands feel better.