Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am cleaning out the home office today, and I came across my Mum's (in England) scone recipe, so I thought I'd pass it along, it's simple and really good, and she kindly translated the amounts into 'American' :)

Pat's Scones

1 stick butter
2 1/3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 Teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup milk
Pinch salt

Egg yolk and milk mix for glaze.

Oven 400 F

Mix flour, salt and baking powder with butter until fine, then mix in sugar and any raisins or such (I like like cut up crystalized ginger) if you're using them, then mix in milk, do not over mix, only until ingrs. JUST bind.

Roll out thick and cut into rings with a cutter or triangles with a knife (Mum always makes round scones :)), brush with egg/milk mix, sprinkle with a little sugar and bake until golden and risen.

Enjoy :icecream:

Alison

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
I love English scones.... with whipped cream and a dab of strawberry jam. Yum.

In school we made drop scones that were delicious. I have searched a long time to find a recipe for them, but to no avail. Drop scones are so much easier than having to cut them out. I'm going to try this recipe though, thanks for posting it!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I have a lovely jar of clotted cream in the fridge just waiting for some nice scones.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
I love them with King Arthur's Devon double cream. Oh don't tell me how much fat that has! I wish it wasn't so expensive. I haven't had it in years now. I like to add dried fruit to my scones. I also add coffee creamer - in the mix - to make flavors like apricots and cream. It is great. I might have to bake some when I get home!

·
My kids have hooves
2,227 Posts
Thanks! I dearly love scones:)

Booklover, what brand of clotted cream do you have? I haven't yet been able to find a good American equivalent of the authentic English version made with unpasteurized milk. Might just be the best reason I need to get a cow. :banana02:

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
Oh, thank you, Tiempo!

Your timing is perfect -- hubby just bought me a scone pan yesterday!

Since it cost $32, I'm feeling some pressure to turn out something WONDERFUL!

lol

·
newfieannie
10,109 Posts
Thanks Tiempo. i'm a scone person too. Willow .do you have a picture? i've never seen a scone pan. i usually drop mine although i do get many compliments on them. ...Georgia.

·
Registered
843 Posts
What's a scone? :shrug:

·
Banned
6,787 Posts
I love them usually bake them for Christmass. Im definitly going to try this one, Bless you and your translating mother!

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Do you make English flapjack? I made some the other day as I ordered some Lyles golden syrup from Amazon.....delicious!

Rose :D
Rose!!! I love ya! I didn't know Amazon sells Lyles! I'm super excited, haven't had any of that since leaving South Africa in '97!!!!

ETA: Oooh, and Marmite, and Mrs. Balls chutney.. and.. and... and. Be still my beating heart :D

·
aka RamblinRoseRanc :)
5,066 Posts
ooohhh..... coffee creamer. Hadn't thought about that. I too add dried fruit to mine. I'm the only one who eats scones, so I get to make them however I like. And i'd better like, 'cause I have a LOT to eat when I bake them. :)

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I get marmite, chutney, branston pickle, bisto gravy granules, haywards pickled onions, cadbury flakes and so on....

Rose :D
Mmmmm :)

We have a few stores in the area (well 40 miles away in Ann Arbor, but I have to go that way regularly for work) that carry English products.

What they have is inconsistant, but I can usually get Lyle's golden syrup (which I love on hot, buttered toast), worsester sauce potato chips, treacle, Vimto, an on a very lucky day..midget gems, I LOVE midget gems :D

We also have an Indian grocery and they carry Horlicks, Ribena and Pear's soap.

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PRESS RELEASE!!!

I just realized there is no liquid in the recipe!! Mum forgot to add that part!!

I have a test batch in the oven right now with 2/3 cup milk for liquid..I'll let you know how they come out.

If they fail I'll call Mum later :D

·
newfieannie
10,109 Posts
okay, what's the difference in Lyles golden syrup and any other kind? . i have crown which i thought was the best. and what's marmite? i must order some of this stuff. ...Georgia.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts