For those of you with automatic milkers...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, May 8, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Ok, so we were cleaning out a an old milkshed (I think) that had accumulated a bunch of junk over the years, over at a friends house. (I'm collecting scrap metal as a fundraiser for my trip to China this summer, and her tenant was moving out, said we could take whatever we wanted from that shed for the trip or our own use... ) The milkshed was old, at leat 20 years old. Anywho, under a bunch o' junk, I found gold! LOL not really, but to me, it was. I found peices to auto milkers! I don't know exactly what they are. I've wanted to buy an auto milker, but since I don't know sqat about them and the only place I could get them would be ebay, I didn't order anything b/c I didn't want to get cheated. All the peices are 'Surge' brand. I found a lid and two (alternators, are they called? LOL IDK!) They're all in good condition as far as I know.

Q1 : How do I clean them without breaking/hurting them?
    Q2 : What else do I need to use these?
    Q3 : How do I know if they will work or not?
    Q4 : What is a good website on auto milkers that I can look on for more info?
    Q5 : What supplies the suction for an auto milker?
    Q6 : Where can I get auto milker parts/info?
    Q7 : Can I use these on my goats (pygmy)?

I am thinking of getting the more expensive items off of ebay. Heres some pics of the darned things, so you can tell me what I'm dealing with.... :

First one, top :
    [​IMG]

First one, "open" :
    [​IMG]

First one, Bottom :
    [​IMG]

Second one, Top :
    [​IMG]

Second one, "open" :
    [​IMG]

Second one, Bottom :
    [​IMG]

The lid :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Congradulations on "hitting gold" !!!! I LOVE going through my family's old barns. Theres junk in there from back when they used horses and wagons. giggle. I SURE wish I could see these pictures. I'm gonna be buying a small milker from Ebay soon myself. But congradulations anyway!!!!

3. Caprice Acres

Do my pics not work? What does it say? Does it say the photobucket 'oops' thing? ERR!
    Thanks for tellin me that, tho...

4. midkiffsjoy

midkiffsjoy Bedias, Texas

Yeah, but youve gotten farther than me!! Ive never even been able to figure out HOW to post the pics, so youve gotten further than me!!!! grin.

That HAD to be really cool though to come across it in the shed!!! My hubby's a city boy and didnt believe me about our barns and when I was walking him through he was like "whats that" and I was like "thats collars for draft horses". My dad claimed ALL MY LIFE that our family NEVER milked ANYTHING (he only allowed beef cattle on the ranch...not even chickens and such) and after he died I was cleaning the big barn and found the cow kickers and chain collars with numbers on them. Old barns really are so much fun to go through!!!

5. Caprice Acres

Hmmm.. Wonder why I can see the pics just fine!!??? How odd... I'll repost the pics...

#1, Top :
    [​IMG]

#1, Bottom :
    [​IMG]

#1, 'open'
    [​IMG]

#2, top :
    [​IMG]

#2, Bottom :
    [​IMG]

#3, 'open' :
    [​IMG]

The lid :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Caprice Acres

To post pics, go to www.photobucket.com. Create an account, exc. Then log in and it should have a lil form for uploadin pics. Change the # of pics to download to as many as you want, then hit browse... Find the pic and hit ok, then after you got all the ones you want ready to upload, hit the upload button. It will take a while, depending on your internet speed and the # of pics. Then, you will scroll down and see a bunch of you pics, all uploaded! Click on the one you want to post in the forum... If it is large, go back to the main screen and hit 'edit' above the pic. I usually reduce to 50%, but you can reduce less/more. Under the pic are three things : URL, Tag, and IMG. Click on the IMG box so all that mumbo-jumbo is highlighted. Then hit ctrl+C (or right click and select 'copy', its the same thing...) and go to Homesteading today (I usually have two windows open for this) and paste (ctrl +v) into your response/new post. This is how I actually get the pics into the area, I don't know how to post links.

7. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I can see your pics now :clap:

I am new to automatic milkers, we just bought a used Surge. We cleaned it with warm soapy water with 1/4 cup bleach. Then soaked it in bleach water to sanitize. It looks like you need a vaccume pump, some plastic tubing and the parts that go on the teats. I think they have an insert for Pygmies and Nigerians.

Hope you get it going.