For those cold nights

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Lt. Wombat, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We stopped by the new goat dairy being built over in Wyoming mainly because they had a big rig flat bed loaded with washers and dryers in their driveway. I figured the driver was lost so I was going to help him out.

What they are doing is taking the bottoms off the washers/dryers, gutting the innards then cutting out one side, placing a heat lamp through the tops and making baby goat warmers.

They already had about 20 set up and the warmth was amazing. Because the bulb is firmly secured in the top and has a screen on the bottom breakage is not likely. Plus go look at the height from the floor to the top of your washer/dryer and you'll see newborns would have a hard time getting that high.

Anyway, it looked like a good use for a piece of trash plus I discovered there is nothing cuter that seeing over 100 baby Saanan bottle babies running towards you

2. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

Wow !!! What a great idea. Like you said, they would be secured from breakage and as long as the cord was out of reach from the mom's etc. they would keep the tiniest of goats toasty. Plus the metal would be somewhat warm and radiate heat as well. I want some of those !!! (lol)

I will tell my hubby - next time he see's a washer or dryer sitting on the side of the road to throw it onto the truck - the last dryer I had that broke became a backstop for our handgun range - so the next one we find is MINE. :haha:

Oh, I bet the sight of all those babies was quite wonderful. They were probably wondering how quick the dryers could be set up so they could test them out ! ;)

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

OH my gosh what a neat idea and believe you me that dairy has no moms around those babies to get into any wires I'll bet. You know we just got one of those giant dumpsters to get rid of all the trash we've gathered around here and loaded first were two old non working washers. DH will never go unload and get them out for me to use for goats I can guarentee you that :waa: however there is still a dryer over at the neighbors that we inherited the trailers that has yet to go in the dumpster so maybe just maybe I can get that one and give it a try. I had seen a website somewhere, that they used 55 gal drums and basically did the same thing.

4. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

That is an outstanding idea! I'm thinking in terms of using it for a duckling/chick brooder, though!

5. Lt. Wombat

I'm thinking about putting one over the barns woodstove then using a fan to blow the collected heat through ducting into the main pens. Warm, safe and almost free heat

6. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

hey Wombat if you used a dryer then u could use the exhast vent couldn't you?

7. Lt. Wombat

Yes I could. But actually I was thinking of using a washer and piping something out of the top loader lid. I saw a home ventilation thingy al Lowes that goes into the attic and one side is the big round connection off of the forced air fan and the other end had 4 connections where you hook up individual rooms. Sort of a collector/distributor. I think it would at least deliver warm air if not hot air ... and with the temp now at -9 I'm sure the girls will be happy with anything warm

8. motdaugrnds

motdaugrnds II Corinthians 5:7 Supporter

This sounds really great!

I have been using a similar thingy for newborns (and their dams) that works as well for my small (total 6 Nubians) herd. Unless something went very wrong, I always keep the kids with their dams. However, if one dam (and kid) needs extra attention, I have a small 4' x 4' pen inside the barn I keep lots of fresh bedding straw, quality hay and warm water in and they go inside there. (If the weather is extra cold, I turn on the heat lamps that hang from the roof over this area.)

The other option that has been working well is the large cardboard boxes washers and dryers come in. I simply lay one on its side in the kidding area. The new borns love it.