For the western new yorkers here.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by woodsrunner, Jul 3, 2005.

1. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

Want to get together for a day at something fun the second weekend in august?

http://www.pageantofsteam.org/

It's a good time with all kinds of old agricultural stuff on display.

Pretty good flea market too!

I bet it would be a good place for a bunch of us to meet. Fairly central in location too.

2. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

You know I'm in! It's a hoot!! Chug-a-chugga-chugga-chug!! lol

MaryNY

3. woodsrunner

A trip to see the good Captain Yogie afterwards Mary?

4. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Yummy, yummy!! Would be fun to make it a party, if some of these ole critters would crawl outta their caves long enough to do a bit of socializin'!
    hehehehe

5. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Wheres Canandaigua? :eek:

6. woodsrunner

It's south east of Rochester. Not that far from the thruway.

Want to come down and join us?

7. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Shygal -

I think if you click on the URL about the Pageant in Woodsrunner's first post up there you'll get to the Pageant website, and I'm pretty sure there are maps there that will let you know where Canandaigua is!! Heck, you were able to spell it, and if you can do that, you're all set, 'cause getting there is a whole lot easier than spellin' it!! lol

Or you could try Mapquest or Yahoo maps, as they will give you mileage and approximate drive time in hours and minutes, etc. It's a fun event, sort of a huge antique/garage sale/swap meet, punctuated by steam tractors, plowing events, old cars that look like new, and food/drink stands. Lots of old stuff other folks call "junk" - cast iron pans and griddles, ice cream freezers and churns, treadle sewing machines, old wringer washing machines and scrub boards, books of all sorts, bits and pieces and parts for all sorts of things, glassware and glass canning jars, old canners, needlework, woodwork . . . just about everything you can imagine. You really can see it in one trip through the place, so you sort of start at the entrance gate and work you way to the other end, then work your way back to the gate again -- and it's a looooooooooooooong haul from one end to the other -- and it's filled with all sorts of things!

Anyone who's at all interested should try to make it -- and if several of us are there, we could arrange to meet up at some particular point at some particular time . . . or make other arrangements in advance. Oh - there's a KOA nearby, as well. Like I said, I think a lot of that is covered on the Pageant website Woodrunner has listed in his first post on this thread.

8. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

Canandaigua is very, very pretty, and great wine country too. We used to go there fairly often when we lived in Steuben County, but it's a 3 1/2 - 4 hour trip from Broome County.

Have fun, and find lots of good stuff at the flea market!

Stacy

9. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

I looked it up on auto pilot - This Route Distance: 271 This Route Driving Time: 5:00
    :(

A 5 hour trip is a bit too long for me, can't do that in one day for sure.

10. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Stacy & Shygal -

Go to the Pageant URL Woodsrunner posted in his first message above and look for the rectangle at the lower left that says "45th Annual Steam Pageant" - click on that - and when the screen comes up, there will be a line at the top which says "Local Accomodations" -- click on that and there are motels, camping, bed & breakfast places (I checked a few - they seem a bit pricey, BUT you do get breakfast too - and the ones I looked at were FULL breakfasts, not a muffin and a cup of tea!) -- and I'm sure there's more listed there, I didn't have time to stop and look at everything.

A bit of an excursion - an overnight stay - a mini-vacation - AND you get to see the Pageant - AND you get to meet some other like-mined people from this forum.

11. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

I'd love to-but I have 4 horses (3 of which are either just bred, or will be bred soon), 4 dogs, 7 cats, a whole bunch of chickens, haying, the garden...no time for vacations, even small ones, during the summer. Lets find something in September or October (except for 10/7-9 that's Parents Weekend at VMI) and I should be able to go. It's a bit hard for me to find time to go to the grocery store right now. :D

Stacy