Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am cooking a Thanksgiving turkey without a baster. I just never remember to buy one. And we cook four or five turkeys a year, because they are so easy to pick up inexpensively now and they provide a week's worth of food. You would think a baster would have a permanent role in my cooking utensil drawer. Alas, I don't even have one.

And so I have to use a ladle that came with my crockpot to scoop up that delicious smelling turkey juice and pour it over the top of the turkey. I always burn my knuckles once or twice, but the turkey comes out just fine. I am glad we finally got a potato masher though. Mashing pounds of potatoes with a dinner fork wears me out!

Kayleigh

·
Loving My Life...
1,626 Posts
Well you could always come over & borrow one of mine.... I have 2.... :lookout:

As far as mashing potatoes.... I may cheat & use my mixer this year.... Just not in the mood to mash by hand.... :D

Oh by the way, I also have an aloe plant here if you need some for your burns.... :sing:....

·
Premium Member
21,578 Posts
I don't ever use basters either. I brine my turkeys and then roast them breast side down till the last hour or so. That lets the juices run down to the breast.

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I used to love specialized kitchen gadgets. But then I decided to make my kitchen just fit the necessary storage. Now, if something has to have a single purpose, it better be something I use more than once a year, or out it goes. A small ladle has a lot of other purposes and bastes a turkey very well.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I cook my turkeys on a Weber charcoal grill. I also go breast side down for most of the cooking, and have never basted one. No complaints so far. I put a drip pan under it, and my wife makes the best smoky gravy from the drippings that you ever had in your life!

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
I don't have one either....I did buy one last year though. Used it once and then when the well went dry and dh was trying to prime it (didn't realize it was dry) it was the perfect size for priming the pump. By the time it came back to me I didn't want it anymore. I cook my turkey in a big stockpot so there's really no need to baste anyway.

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
We didn't have a turkey this year (long story, flu raging in family, stand back from your monitor when reading this) but I usually bake mine in a bag. That way it stays nice and moist without basting. I do have a baster, but it collects dust in my drawer....

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
I cook my turkey in me electric roasting pan - leaves the oven for important things like pies!

I don't know if I've ever owned a baster, and I've been cooking turkeys for almost 30 years. We don't eat the skin, so getting a nice browned bird was never a concern. Mine stays real moist but does not brown.

Cathy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts