For the ladies out there

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by logcabn, May 18, 2005.

1. logcabn

logcabn Well-Known Member

I've discorvered a wonderful product it call the Diva cup (you can check it out at www.divacup.com) It's a menstrual cup no more pads or tampons, I've had mine for four months and love it I'll never go back, and since they'll last for about 10 years I don't have to. I don't even need liners and only need to check it in the morning when I get up and at night when I go to bed. I really recomend them to everyone. Their Great

2. akmyilee

akmyilee Well-Known Member

I have never used this but have hear GREAT things about it..........

3. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I hve heard about it but I am afraid it will leak...I leak around most things. Must be too many kids.

4. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

I've tried the disposable ones. The disposables are expensive and to take out, but they do work, and I never had a problem with leaking.

5. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I have used the Keeper for a few years and think it is the greatest thing ever. My friends just think I'm a freak for using it, but I don't care!

I've had no trouble leaking, and I used to have to change my tampon AND pad every hour or so. Now, I do as logcabn said and empty it in the morning and before bed. Sullen...the Keeper has a 3-month money-back guarantee, in case you'd like to try it out!

An added bonus is that I don't have cramps anymore...I think I was allergic or extremely sensitive to the bleach in the disposable junk.

6. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

no weird chemicals in your absorptive mucous membranes
    no additions to landfills
    no having to send someone to the store on those emergencies when youd idn't know you were out
    no having to buy buy buy buy..... you buy a keeper once and it's yours for a very long time. A huge money saver over time.
    no more (or less ) cramping
    don't go through as much toilet paper
    you don't support wierd chemical companies

I love mine.

babs

7. logcabn

Your right, I was scared I was going to leak to cause I leaked in eveything else, but no leaks. I also had allergies to the products I was using and I tried eveything best my doctor could recomend was barrier cream didn't work and made it worse, so instead of a 1 week period I had 2 weeks 1 for my period and 1 to clear up the rash. So I say THANK GOD for my Diva cup I'll NEVER be with out it again, just wish I found it 15 years ago, would have saved a fortune. And since you get a trial time whats to lose (but a lot of messy pads), give it a try I think once you get the hang of it you'll love it like the rest of us.

8. fearlessemily

fearlessemily Member

Just to present an opposing viewpoint... I tried the cup after hearing great things about it, but it didn't work for me... Every time I went to the bathroom and had to bear down it nearly came out, and even just walking around with it, it constantly felt like it was going to fall out (though never did.) Just that feeling and the bathroom issue were too much for me...

Emily

9. Holly

Holly Well-Known Member

I bought one at least a year ago and Hated IT! All the testimonies said how comfortable it was- not for me! It seemed much too big. I got the larger one that they suggest for women over thirty or for those who have had children. I have three boys and I just turned thirty last month, but I can't help but wonder if the smaller one would have fit better. I also wondered if I just wasn't getting it in right . I tried and tried and tried, but nothing felt right. I finally gave up. I still have it and if I knew I could get it to fit right I'd try it again.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, I am just giving my expirience. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I'd appoligize to any of the guys who had to read this, but they shoud take more heed when a post is titled "For the Ladies.."

Thanks
    Holly

10. Farmer K

Farmer K Homesteader-@-Heart

I bought the Keeper nearly a year ago and at first I didn't like it too much. It would leak a lot and was very uncomfortable. About 5 months or so after first trying it I started having better luck with it. Now I don't have any trouble with it leaking or anything, though I use cloth pads with it. (I've had bad experiences so now I'm paranoid :rolleyes: ).

I think it just takes a while to get used to it. I still get bad cramps but not like when I used the tampons. I can't use anything synthetic or with chemicals anymore, which is fine with me. I also love the fact that I'm not adding to the landfills as much now.

~Kelly

11. mammabooh

Just a tip for those of you who have tried it but could still feel it...you probably didn't have it up there far enough. That was one of my problems at first. I thought it was going to get lost, but it really can't. I have to really push it up and then pull the bottom end of it up(to tip it a bit)...I think because of the way I'm shaped. Since I've been doing that (and since I cut the tip completely off), I've had no troubles.

12. Holly

Holly Well-Known Member

Hey Mammabooh,

Since you cut the tip completely off, do you find it harder to remove it?

Holly

13. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

I posted on the other thread about this but I used those disposeable ones I looked at the pic and it looks different than the disp. ones. I still am not sure reaching up there and pulling that out how do you not make a mess? That was the worst thing with the disp. ones. I am all for trying that one I am sooooo tired of tampons that lil string :no: I feel like I am teathered to myself LOL.
    I am so paranoid about leaks anywhere any time sheesh.....

14. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I've had one for 12 years now and it's great. There's another current thread on the countryside family forum that I posted all my thoughts.

Beaux

15. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been using The Keeper for almost 6 years now and love it. At first I had a few problems getting it inserted correctly. So it leaked or didn't feel comfortable. But have since got the hang of it and wouldn't be without it. In fact I can't feel it and sometimes forget to empty it when I should - and consquently occasionally have leaks that are my own fault.

I didn't follow directions and order the other size after the baby came and I've had a few very minor leaks, but after this next baby comes I will order the correct size.

The upfront costs make seem high to start with, but I've definatley gotten my money's worth out of it. Plus its easy to carry in your bag so you are never caught off guard no matter where you are.

16. mammabooh

Nope, I just bear down a little bit and grab it.

17. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:no: after dealing with this leaking business for a number of years I got spayed. I can't recommend it highly enough! :)

I truely feel that anything that keeps this stuff up inside your body is not healthy and could lead to some tough problems down the road. Have you forgotten Toxic Shock Syndrome?

Just my view...I have been free of all of this crap for about 25 years now. Smartest thing I ever did. ;)

LQ

18. logcabn

I had trouble the first coupla times to get it set right, but after trying it up a little higher and pulling the stem up to wards your bell button a bit I had no problems, now that I've found my ideal position sometimes I forget it's there. I think evey one is different and you just need to fiddle around till you find your ideal spot.