For Sale

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by justgojumpit, Jun 22, 2004.

1. justgojumpit

justgojumpit Well-Known Member

Hello everyone!

On this thread only we will be taking any for sale or wanted ads.

In order to keep this thread from getting too long, i will periodically remove dated ads.

Anything beekeeping related is welcome on this thread, but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure that, if you are going to sell used hive parts in which a colony has died out, make sure you know the cause of death, and know that it is not transferrable to the buyer's bees.

justgojumpit

britlitgal likes this.
  2. justgojumpit

I can prepare 5-frame nucs to your orders, for pickup in North Salem, NY (about 1 hour north of NYC) One Nuc $90, more than one, $80. These nucs are from healthy italian bees. The bees will raise their own queen from my purchased queens' eggs. I will call you to come pick up your nuc once i find eggs (to make sure that the virgin queen will have plenty of drones to mate with). I keep the nuc box, you trade in new frames of crimp-wired or similar foundation (none of the plastic stuff please) If you have any questions, please either reply here or send me a PM.

thanks,

justgojumpit

3. justgojumpit

Moved from another thread started by an unregistered person:

old bee equipment for sale Post #1

From antique beekeeper operation - For sale:
    9 (deep) antique wood drawers holding about 15 "frames" each -
    plus about 13 additional frames.

If interested, contact:
    chriscom@microserve.net

4. Lynn Osborn

Lynn Osborn New Member

rULE NO. 1 IN BEEKEEPING SHOULD BE- NEVER BUY USED EQUIPMENT
    As an inspector I am always disappointed when I find AFB in an apiary. Often it could have been prevented if only the beekeeper hadn't been so willing to buy old equipment with an uncertain past. I think if it wasn't for old equipment that was given or purchased I would never see AFB. It only takes one guy to get a "deal" on some old junky equipment and his yard and every yard around him start showing signs of AFB.

At the ISBA meeting last week I was talking with an old commercial beekeeper who was telling me about his experiences with AFB. His experiences may save some others the pain of having to burn a lot of their hives.

He said he had one hive that was super strong, just boiling with bees and during a check he found just one cell that had died of AFB. He took the supers off and treated it thinking that a strong hive like that would soon clear it up and he would save a great hive. By fall he had to burn that hive and the three others on the pallet because drifting bees had infected all of them.
    The next spring he put 4 more hives on the pallet and they soon came down with AFB. He hadn't thought that the spores would be in the wood of the pallet but they obviously were. Once the bacteria reach the spore stage there are literally billions of spores in each dead larvae.
    During a recent inspection I discovered a beekeeper who had a habit of buying old bee equipment at farm sales. A number of his hives were infected and he mentioned that some of the equipment he bought had been scorched on the inside. It didn't dawn on him that the beekeeper scorched them because he had AFB. Not only did he have to burn a lot of bees and equipment but so did the beekeeper 1/2 mile down the road.
    Spores are in the honey in the supers as well so any equipment or honey you have had on that colony is suspect and should be burned. The commercial beekeeper I was talking to said he once bought some honey from another beekeeper and bottled it. Some spilled on the floor of his honey house where he stacked supers. Apparently there were enough spores that got transferred to his supers and when the supers went back on the bees came down with AFB.

Keep your operation clean. Most guys use leather gloves which is ok if you never get disease but I see yards that have three or four hives in a row with AFB. It seems logical to assume that the beekeeper was working down the row and transferred enough spores to the next hive to contaminate it.
    I use throw away plastic gloves and keep a propane torch handy to flame my tool and smoker. It is a lot of extra work but worth it if a hive picks up AFB somewhere.

In 30 years of beekeeping I have never used antibiotics to supress AFB. I would rather see it and burn the colony than not see it and transfer the spores to another colony. Being in a fairly safe area I have only had to burn one colony in all those years.

fishhead likes this.
  5. ckncrazy

ckncrazy Well-Known Member

justgojumpit, I may be interested in the spring. I live just north of Syracuse. Let me know if you will still have this offer in the spring.

6. bee4sure

bee4sure New Member

Dadent honey extractor, 2 frame, manual hand crank, new gears, extra gate included, very clean, very good condition, second owner. $150 I live in East Helena, Montana 59635.

7. justgojumpit

I made a honey press to crush my honey combs last year, and have just upgraded to an extractor. If anyone is interested in the honey press, it is very simple to use. Just cut the combs out of your frames, and insert them into a perforated nylon bag, like people use to wash bras. Hang this in the press, which is two boards hinged together at the top, with a bolt near the bottom. Then just tighten the bolt, and the honey will be squeezed out of the combs, with very little residual honey. You can hang this above a collection bucket to catch the honey as it streams from the points at the bottom of the boards. It is modeled after the press on this page: http://www2.gsu.edu/~biojdsx/press.htm but it is more compact and does not need the frame. You could mount it on a wall if you wish. I am away from home right now, and can't get you a picture at the moment, but it has served me very well. If interested, please contact my at davidtromp at aol dot com. I have a diagram made that will illustrate its construction. It is very well made.

justgojumpit

8. justgojumpit

I have some 100% beeswax votive candles with a burn time of approximately 15 hours. The wicks are made of 100% cotton, with a metal base tab to keep them upright as the candle burns low. I would sell them for $1.50 each for 1-10 candles, $27 for 20 candles, and $62.50 for 50 candles. If you are interested, please sent me an email at davidtromp@aol.com

Thanks

justgojumpit

9. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Well-Known Member Supporter

Bee net for sale. Brand new- bought it last week and used it one time to move my bees from Fl to MN. 24' x 20' mesh net, uv protection. White with yellow stripe down the center for orientation. $195.00.

10. xbeeman412

xbeeman412 Well-Known Member

I have 3 (three) 25 pound boxes and one 12 1/2 pound box of 5 5/8 x 16 3/4 (medium super) Duragilt foundation for sale. There are aprox 9 sheets per pound with this.

Dadant and Mann Lake bee supplies sell these 25 pound boxes for 140.00$ and up.

Each 25 pound box will do about 25 supers @ 9 frames each.

Will be off line in Oklahoma next week tell the fall and not monotering the forum so call Me at 409 789 2839 if interested.

C & C

SOLD!!

11. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

:happy: +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Located in south-central Michigan; 8 miles north of Jackson or 25 miles south of Lansing, or 80 miles west of Detroit, or 200 miles east of Chicago.
    Contact me privately via email.

500 New Stoller Frame Spacers (provides 9 spaces for 10 frame hive bodies); sold 10 to a set (which will do 5 supers) for $3.95 + shipping. 50 spacers (which will do 25 supers) for $18.75 + shipping.

20 New Porter Plastic Bee Escapes; $2.00 each + a stamped self-addressed envelope for shipping (limit 1 to a customer!).

copperkid3@isp.com
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

12. Georgia Boy

Georgia Boy Member

I have a great starter package or addition to an existing yard for sale. Listed below is a list of all the equipment. The first 2 hives listed are stocked with strong Italian colonies. They were started May 28th this year. This hole lot is for sale for the first $325. Must be picked up in Barnesville Georgia. Email questions to GeorgiaBoyBirds@wmconnect.com.

Hive 1
    Bottom board and 2 entrance reducers
    Screened bottom board
    Slatted rack
    Brood (Deep)
    Medium supper
    top feeder
    inter cover
    Hive top

Hive 2
    Bottom board and 2 entrance reducers
    Screened bottom board
    Slatted rack
    2 Brood (Deeps)
    Broadman feeder
    Inter cover
    Hive top

Extras:
    1 Deep
    4 Med. Supers
    10 med one pc frames
    21 deep one pc frames
    1 bottom board
    2 wood tops
    1 unfinished hive top feeder
    2 inter covers
    2 queen extruders

Head net with helmet
    hive tool
    smoker
    gloves with long sleeves
    smoker fuel
    bee brush

I'm sure their is some things I'm forgetting that will be included in the package, I just can't think of them right now.

Georgia Boy

13. shbowen

shbowen New Member

Includes approx. 600 hives, approx. 2200 supers, 2 one ton trucks, Bobcat w/trailer, uncapper, slinger, plus other items needed to run a honey bee business.

Also, 55 barrels of Gallberry honey available.

OWNER WILL NOT FINANCE!

Contact Clyde Hannah at (912) 283-3086 for more information.

14. rainesridgefarm

rainesridgefarm Well-Known Member

Hello fellow beekeepers

I picked up a pallet of Mite away II. I can ship to IL. Send me a PM.

Phillip

15. justgojumpit

I have beeswax and drone frames for sale on ebay.

justgojumpit

I also have some hardware mesh for pollen traps. Two rolls of 5 mesh and one roll of 7 mesh. I will also sell by the foot. contact me at davidtromp@aol.com

16. River Rest

River Rest Home-Insteader

I have some classic type honey jars for sale. No lids.

3 boxes of 24 / 1lb jars

4 boxes of 12 / 2lb jars

$5.00 a box plus shipping. Local pickup ok
    I'm near Blowing Rock, NC

Thanks

17. 2rubes

2rubes New Member

:) Screened bottom boards, do you have them on your hives? Whether you make them yourselves, or buy them, they are the most important component in IPM management. After 9 years of beekeeping and making screened boards, we have come up with a well made multi-function screen board that is easy to use with accesses from either the back of the hive or the front, with wide doors that do not scrape off your mite samples and facilitate the use of powdered sugar treatments and unbreakable easy-to-clean white plastic sub-boards that can be used as sticky boards, removed for ventilation or inserted on top of the screens for added warmth or for fume type treatments. Please check out all of our features at www.countryrubes.com
    We are selling our boards for $30.00 plus shipping which has ranged from $10 to $20 depending on what part of the country you live in. Because we love to travel, and if we are in your area, we would be happy to meet with you and save you money in shipping.
    We will be in Oregon from 10/26 to 10/31 to attend the Northwest Corner Fall Beekeeping Conference. If you are along or close to the I-5 corridor in Northern California or Southern to Central Oregon, please feel free to contact me, either my phone 530-913-2724 or by email (before 10/26) and we will make arrangements.
    We will be traveling to Orange County on 11/5/05 and returning 11/13/05 and again, if you would like to see our boards, please feel free to contact me.
    Sincerely,
    Janet Brisson

18. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

Any suggested reading for someone wanting to learn about bees in advance of keeping some?

Thanks,
    Cindyc.

19. lewbest

lewbest Well-Known Member

hi cindy

IMHO the very best beginners book is "How To Keep Bees & Sell Honey" by the late Walter T. Kelley. Usually available on ebay used but not expensive new (about 10 bux iirc) from Walter T. Kelley Co in Clarkson, KY. They're one of the major bee equipment suppliers. IIRC the website is kelleybees.com. Also an excellent forum is beesource.com; go to the home page & click on the exchange link to get to the forum. Be sure to try to find out if there's a local beekeepers club nearby; best source for hands on experience, any beek loves to talk bees so will bee more than willing to help you.

Lew near Waco, TX

20. tlance

tlance Well-Known Member

I am looking to buy a radial honey extractor 12 frames plus and I am also interested in buying any honey bee equipment. Supers, frames or such. I live in Northern Minnesota so I am looking for something in the Northern part of Minn. Thanks shannon