? for goat experts

Discussion in 'Goats' started by TEXKAT, May 11, 2006.

1. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

I know nothing about goats and one of our friends wants to give us one of his. Can I put the goat in our fenced part of the yard with our dog? Our dog has never shown agressiveness (sp?) towards other animals.

2. lotsofmuddypaws

lotsofmuddypaws Member

Just thought I would jump in here and offer my insights into goats and dogs.
    On my farm I have dogs that are afraid of the goats and dogs that aren't. But in both cases the goats hate the dogs and will either ignore them or chase them off.
    I have a few dogs that I know I could house with my goats, and they would all just kinda ignore each other. So I would think it could be done. Just watch them all until you are sure they get along.
    Lisa

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Goats HATE to be without another goat. They are herd animals. One goat will holler and holler. Get two. As far as penning with a dog. I would not unless it is a really mellow dog or your are just asking for problems. Dogs generally chase goats unless they are of special livestock guardian breeds or you just luck out, be careful with that....a goat run by a dog too much will go into shock...I've seen it happen.

4. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Better not, unless the dog was used to being around goats -- I do sometimes use my English Shepherd/Collie for a livestock guardian dog, but he was born on a goat farm and has always been around them. And even he gets impatient with them sometimes -- they aren't very careful about where they walk, and he doesn't like to be stepped on -- so I can't keep him in a small space with a goat, because they are more likely to end up stepping on him.

Most dogs see goats as prey, even if they are otherwise mellow. And it terrifies goats to be chased, even if the dog only wants to play. The best thing to do would be to make a pen out of four cattle panels for the goat -- and it WILL need a companion, because goats do not like to be alone.

Kathleen

5. witchysharon

witchysharon Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. I've heard too often the family dog killed the family goat(s) :(

6. Hawkfamily

Hawkfamily Well-Known Member

It really depends on the goats and the dogs. My two dogs (who do go after our sheep) love our goats, and our two goats love our dogs. They have lived happily together for three years.
    jodi

7. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your input. My dog is pretty mellow, but she's never been around sheep or goats. Sounds like I need to get more than one goat and keep them separate.

Thanks again.