For Frick's sake

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Oregon1986, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

Ever met someone that ONLY talks about themselves and about all their medical conditions? Even when a conversation has nothing to do with them,they cut off your conversation and turn into being about them? Gah!! SO cousin in law just moved back on to the homestead few months ago and I've never met someone so self absorbed. That's just my little rant

2. Skamp

Skamp Well-Known Member

Sounds a bit like a forum I frequent. Lol

3. Oregon1986

Lol

4. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

My father in law.
    Goes to funerals and balls so loud it is embarrassing.
    Threw himself over the top of the casket once and it wasn't even family; an acquaintance they went to church with.
    Objected to a wedding once as a joke... for the daughter of a coworker he barely knew.
    Consumed with his mortality and salvation; usually brings it up during light hearted group conversations or during Thanksgiving prayers, or before opening Christmas presents or when any one, any one at all, is putting on their coat to leave.
    Hasn't bought my mother in law a present or gift for any occasion in 35 years. Will openly moan and wail in order to turn the topic to something about him.
    Refuses to release all financial information to my mother in law because he doesn't trust her with "his" money when he's gone.
    Fortunately over the years I have learned how to diffuse his tactics long enough for someone else to come into the room, and I only see him once every month or so.
    He is a real piece of work, but I suppose we all are to some extent.

5. Oregon1986

Wow he is a piece of work

6. sss3

sss3 Well-Known Member

Never met anyone as bad as your FIL. Know several people who talk and talk about themselves. When they're done talking about themselves, they say 'Got to go.' Annoying.

7. GTX63

GTX63 Well-Known Member

We've been married 20 years; she carries none of her dad's traits. I married my first wife very young. Believe it not my first Mother In Law was worse, LOL.

happy hermits and COSunflower like this.
  8. dmm1976

dmm1976 Well-Known Member

One of the reasons I am so happy I haven't had Facebook for years.

9. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

My sister has always been a bit of a hypochondriac so I guess I am used to people being overly concerned or involved with their own medical issues. It was never a trial for me as I have always been interested in medicine and she certainly came up with some interesting things to research. She is much better now that she actually has health issues.

I also have a very dear friend who has become very medically self involved. She really was/is frightened so I let her talk. I did tell her after she calmed down a bit that she could only talk for 15 minutes about her health and then we had to move on to something fun. We talk long distance at least twice a week so she does get some good air time. She was tending to repeat herself over and over so now with a time limit she gets to the good stuff and the new stuff right away.

I did have a co-worker who was like your cousin-in-law with the ability to steer every conversation back to herself. She was also a great interrupter. And telling her that she was interrupting did not seem to have any result. Tiresome so it came about that some of us agreed not to let her interrupt any more - we would just keep talking over top of her interruption about what we had been talking about. It was surprising how long it took her to realize that the interruptee was not giving in and someone was talking over her.

She did settle down eventually and stopped interrupting so much but she never got over always trying to bring the conversation back to herself. Even when all of us were sitting stoney faced and not responding to her story about what she said to the waiter at the steak house on Saturday night she would just keep on talking. I once pretended to take notes and even asked her to slow down as my shorthand was rusty. She was not amused.

10. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

I have learned there are people who truly see everything that happens in relation to it's effect on them.

11. Barefootminis

Barefootminis Member

I have been that woman. When things get better you become much less introspective. It's hard to get out of the I'm dying mindset when you've actually almost died. Compassion goes out to people who have been through it. You have to become wise about who to bear with and who just wants attention.

There's also the other person at the other end of the spectrum who has no compassion for anyone. They've been lucky, so they think they're superior and if you did it like them you'd poo rainbows.

12. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

My mother was like that the last 10-12 years of her life.

13. Oregon1986

That had to be hard

14. M5farm

M5farm Well-Known Member

i know a few folks like that, No matter my problems they are not any concern of anyone else.

15. Pschmidt

Pschmidt Active Member

Former boss I had. Our department was tiny, as in, just me and her. I literally had to wait to see what kind of mood she was in that day to know what kind of day I was going to be having. Nothing was ever discussed that didn't have to do with her, and if it did it got turned around to about her. The most self-centered person I've ever met in my entire life. I planned a cruise vacation, planned it for months. Went. Came back. Other people in the hospital asked about my trip. She came into the office all huffy one day and said "I didn't know you went on a cruise." because she heard it from someone else. Uhh, you never asked, either. I've only been planning it for months, like literally researching it there at work on downtime, and we shared the same dang office. She also had the knack for having me do her quality assurance projects for the department in the hospital and turned in the work as her own. I was miserable every single dang day. Luckily, I didn't have to keep taking it. Not proud of it, but I walked out of an easy good-paying job one of those horrid days. Waited til she went to lunch, detailed my leaving and the why's in a letter to the administrator, and apologized, and left a few minutes before she was due back. It felt like abuse working there and I wasn't taking it any longer. Now, I just steer clear of anyone like this.

LAFarm likes this.
  16. Clem

Clem Realist

Is "cousin-in-law" the Northwest equivalent to "twice removed"?

I went to a family reunion once, where some goofball was trying to figure out relationships to that extent. "Fourth cousin twice removed" he finally declared. I was like "Boy, you need a job or something"

Echoesechos likes this.
  17. happy hermits

happy hermits Well-Known Member

My cousin is like that whenever I see her . My husband says it is cheaper then counciling . I think I can tend to do it talking about animals and canning and all that stuff. Sorry to all I have bored with it.

Nsoitgoes likes this.
  18. Hossplay

Hossplay Active Member

I went to my ENT Doc yesterday and he told me the malignant tumor at the base of my tongue is gone.

Echoesechos likes this.
  19. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, my Mother's entire family! It was the most horrible thing ever... if one said they had 'this' , the next one would say they had 'this and that" ... For hours they would compare illness or an degree of illness... Who was closer to their death bed... There were 14 of them and sometimes their children would join in....

I remember my Aunt and her husband visiting when I was 10... Before they arrive my father gathered us around, in Military fashion and processed to tell us if any of us asked Aunt Betty how she was doing ... He would beat us all! Funny now, not so much then be a use we knew he meant it!!