For composting toilet owners

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by deaconjim, Apr 16, 2006.

1. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

We are considering the purchase of an Envirolet waterless remote composting toilet, non electric.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

link to website; http://www.envirolet.com/enwatremsysn.html

Does anyone have this system? Are you happy with it?

Deaconjim

2. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

deaconjim, Looking at the picture, I wonder if one could save money by installing an RV toilet (which uses very little water) and a modified 55 gallon plastic drum or a built structure to accomplish the same thing?

3. gypsymama

gypsymama Well-Known Member

Agreed.

The biggest feature to a composting toilet is a vent system and that doesn't have to be expensive, just something that will keep the moisture level down depending on how much the toilet is used.

We use a conventional seat, but the ouside "throne" is our own homebuilt one. We have large plastic pipe that goes to the basement and empties into a welded metal box with hinged door for easy dirt removal. In the bathroom, I have a cute container and scoop for the peat moss with instructions on how much to use depending on which way you go. :D

4. deaconjim

deaconjim Appalachian American Supporter

I've looked at the RV toilets, but they do require some water which will be in short supply for the immediate future. The various homemade systems that I've looked at work fine, but they and even most of the commercial systems have an open pipe going to the storage box. The one we are looking at has a trap design that closes off the bowl from the tank until you "flush".