Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dr Gary Fettke's address at a forum hosted by Agforce

The beef industry needs to know where the anti-meat rhetoric started and plan a defence because it is under attack.

There was no question vegan propaganda was holding the meat industry to ransom, he said.

The rhetoric was full of misinformation, he said, using as an example the claim 51 per cent of greenhouse gas emissions were from ruminant livestock production.

"The claim 2500 litres of water are required to make a beef burger is also a gross misrepresentation of the green water that rains upon the ground," he said.

Sanitarium owns the Alternative Meat Company, which partners with the Alternative Dairy Company, and is key source of propaganda that is directly harming animal-based food industries, according to Dr Fettke.

Reactions: Pony

·
Registered
33,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please read the article. There are a number of key points I chose not to post here

Reactions: no really

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The NCBA which demands a $1/hd dues on each head sold in its Beef Checkoff program is supposed to go for educating the public about beef. All they have come up with is "Beef. It's what's for dinner."..A remarkably inept, if not downright fraudulent use of the money....Beef is maybe the single most efficient & healthiest source of nutrition for H.sapiens, yet the NCBA lies passively and takes the beatings dished out by the coocoos silently.

{BTW- anybody who wishes to contest my statement about beef & healthiest should first educate themselves on the role of lecithin, carnitine and CLAs before displaying their ignorance publicly.)

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'm not talking about efforts to lobby Congress, but about efforts to educate the consumer.

·
Registered
33,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not talking about efforts to lobby Congress, but about efforts to educate the consumer.
The NCBA is a disappointment on every level.

Reactions: doc-

·
STILL not Alice
20,197 Posts
Very good article.

I have been increasingly alarmed at the hype and baloney related to the pseudo-meat and other "non-meat" options being pushed by certain industries and certain pseudo-religious groups.

There was a meme going around a couple of years ago, split picture. In one pic, cows grazing a green field. The other picture, a busy, polluted city. The text was something along the lines of "People who live here" (the city) blame people who live here (country) for pollution."

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Do these "vegans" understand that every rain drop that has ever fallen out of the sky has been recycled through an animal digestive system at some point in history....water is never actually wasted unless you have limited supplies.

·
-Melissa
999 Posts
What gets me is that, if everyone went vegan, that would mean the fields that cattle (and/or other livestock) graze on (that could be) would need to be tilled and used to produce vegetables. How much more damaging to the land is that???? The need to use pesticides and herbicides. Irrigation. The habitat destruction for wildlife. What happens when crops fail due to drought or flood or freeze? People go hungry? Livestock (used correctly) are needed to HEAL the land. If they want to make a change, they should encourage people to tolerate beef not finished on corn. I would like to see our country as a whole become less wasteful about food. But that would likely require food prices to soar and a few folks would go hungry.

·
Registered
11,758 Posts
In India they are mostly vegan, and worship cows a gods. And it is working out so well for them.
Is it? Have you been to India? If not, I'd suggest you and those who "liked" this post go visit and take a real look - not a romanticized one.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Is it? Have you been to India? If not, I'd suggest you and those who "liked" this post go visit and take a real look - not a romanticized one.
As a matter of fact I have been to India. It is a fourth world dung heap, and most of the population is starving. They spend money putting rockets in space, but can't manage flush toilets.

Reactions: Pony
1 - 14 of 14 Posts