? for a speech

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by mamabunny, Oct 27, 2006.

1. mamabunny

mamabunny Member

Does anyone know any interesting facts on rabbits for a college speech? I am going to talk about thew uses(meat, show, pet), the breeds, and the dutch, flemish, and dwarfs in particular.
    Also does anyone know of a site that lists the endangered rabbits breeds?
    Thanks
    Ashley

2. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

go to the ALBC site for the endangered/threatened rabbit breeds.
    some facts-- The wild rabbit and the domestic rabbit cannot produce fertile young together-- making them different spe3cies!!!

The wild rabbit weans it's babies in a week--

Wild rabbits are born covered with fur

female Rabbits can actually "store" the sperm of a male until they are ready to get preggers again...

the jackrabbit is actually a hare

our domestic rabbits originated in Europe--

the different coat types and colors of our domestic rabbits are a result of captive breeding mutations--/ limitations of the gene pool

3. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

What happened to the fur and laboratory markets? There's more uses for rabbits than you think!

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

4. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

The American Rabbit Breeders Association at www.albc-usa.org (click on "Conservation Priority List") has photos and articles about rare breeds. I also have pics and some basic info on Creme d'Argents (rare breed) at www.geocities.com/cremerabbits. :D Also check out www.rarebitsandpieces.com and www.rabbitgeek.com.

Interesting facts:
    Certain breeds of rabbits (Californians, Himalayans, and other breeds of the same color) "change color" with the seasons! They're marked like Siamese cats. The intensity of the color on their "points" is controlled by temperature. In the summer, the points often become rather light, sometimes even disappearing. In the winter, the markings can become quite dark. Stray spots of dark fur called smuts can also appear. If a rabbit of this color is shaved during cold temperatures, the fur often grows back light gray.

Silver-colored breeds (Silver Fox, Creme d'Argent, Champagne d'Argent, and Silver), are born solid colored. Only as they mature and grow an adult coat does the silver tipping appear on the fur.

Domestic rabbits have been bred since Roman times. Early rabbits were raised in large walled enclosures or colonies.

Angora breeds may have been in existence as early as 500 A.D. but have most certainly been around since the early 1700's.

5. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

Terry,

Please don't take offense, but the last time I checked with Louisiana W&F I was informed that wild cotton tail rabbits wean between 16 and 18 days. As for storing sperm? I've never heard that in reference to rabbits and I've seen no proof of it with any rabbits we have raised. I have heard this about chickens. If I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected.

MikeL