Foot Rot

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I have a doe that is probably pregnant, that I believe has foot rot/hoof rot. I have been busy with one sick goat for the last 2 months, and she has been avoiding me so we just noticed a few days ago that her hooves look terrible. (she's been hiding and laying down in the goat house alot)

So, I have a couple of questions...any help would be appreciated. We rarely trim our goats hooves because they don't need much and all have nice hooves. In the past she didn't need them trimmed, but since she's been pregnant or extremely overweight (I've attached pictures, so you can give me your opinion about preggers or fat...sorry about the butt shot, but it's a good angle to see how wide she is!) she hasn't been as active and that probably lead to her bad feet. Our problem is that she won't come near us, especially now that she is pregnant/fat, much less let us grab her to trim those hooves. (we also had an overbearing wether that didn't allow her to come to us, which we just got rid of) Any suggestions for restaining very resistant, pregnant goats? I don't want to over stress her and make her abort or hurt her, but she is a fighter.

If she does need treatment for foot rot, what do we do? I heard that you need to soak their feet in sulfur or something like that (and of course trimming). What about antibiotics? And which antibiotics? Could it hurt the babies? (If she's preggers, it's got to be more than one!)

I've also heard that I should quarantine her, but do you think it's really necessary if the others have good feet?

Help! We need to do something with her ASAP, I am worried.
    thanks!
    Corrie Ann

http://www.seraphworks.com/corrieann/blog/bblog/files/sn2.JPG
    http://www.seraphworks.com/corrieann/blog/bblog/files/sf.jpg

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I have one goat who gets really soft feet in the winter. Foot trimming on him has become a 2 person job. We have a strong hook in one wall of the barn with a chain attatched. We drag Gohan over to the hook and chain him up, then my husband basically sits on Gohan (this is the world's sweetest goat, he just hates having his feet checked) while I trim and doctor if necessary. I keep a bowl of bleach water right next to me, and I dip my shears and hoof pick after each cut. Then I paint on Koppertox (I use a foam brush, it will destroy an actual paint brush) to avoid any infection. I do this weekly, and so far nothing has actually gotten infected. Make sure you gather up all of the hoof trimmings and burn them.

If it has gone to foot rot, you'll have to apply the Koppertox every day (or copper sulfate solution). I would probably do this every day for a week, then check the feet on a weekly basis. Your goat's feet will be green, the stuff will stain your clothes. It comes off of your hands if you rub olive oil in really well. I keep reading about soaking the goat's feet in a foot bath - there just isn't any way hubby and I could physically make Gohan soak his feet. Maybe try soaking a paper towel with the solution, putting the soaked towel in the bottom of a bread bag, then taping the bread bag over the hoof?

For the rest of your herd, if they're feet are fine right now I would just check them once a week or so while you get the infected does feet cleared up.

3. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I trim all feet and give shots on the milk stand while they are eating. I feed my older does on two milk stands which are side by side wheather they are in milk or not. I have two younger does that are almost three months pregnant and will start eating from the milk stand also. When it is time to start milking then they will not be afraid of the stand. My goats are nubians and can be a real hand full at times. Thats why they go on the stand. Is your goat a pygmy or part pygmy? She has that look. They are broad and blocky and is sometimes hard to tell if pregnant. I would watch and see if their is a change in her udder.