Foot Rot

Discussion in 'Goats' started by joken, Jan 10, 2007.

1. joken

joken Well-Known Member

I posted foot rot questions the other day. Thanks everyone for your answers. I learned from a friend who raises pygmies something about foot problems here in our wet muddy climate. In wet muddy conditions Goats hooves become soft and in summer they get hard. Mud has a tendency to compact between the hooves soft tissue and the hard outer part. This can cause a condition similar to a human having a sliver under their fingernail. I think this is what was wrong with my doe. I have cleaned the hooves real good and trimmed back any loose areas and all seems well after a couple of days. Just one more thing to keep in mind if you have a limping animal.

2. Jim S.

Jim S. Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, here's another idea: Do you have rocky areas on your farm? Mine doesn't, so I piled up broken concrete chunks and cement blocks from a demolition project in one pasture near the barn. The goats climb on those, which dramatically reduces -- and in some cases has eliminated -- foot trimming in my commercial meat herd. Plus, they have a blast playing king of the hill! And I have fun watching them. We've never had a single case of foot rot in 16 years, and it gets pretty muddy on the place, which is part creek drainage and swamp. I also have large flat rocks at the entrance to the barn, so they have to walk across these small rock "landings" to get inside. It's cheap (free) to do, so you might try it.

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

I put concrete "patio" blocks around the water troughs so they have to walk on them to drink and it helps wear the hooves down. By using those instead of pouring a pad, I can always relocate them if I need too, but pouring a rough pad would be cheaper