Foot...possible abscess?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Meg Z, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

A few days ago, I trimmed feet. As I did the last goat, I noticed a single drop of blood on the stand. I didn't try to go back and see who I quicked, and I guess I should have.

Today, Truly is limping, and it's obvious that she's the one I quicked. It looks as if an area about 1/3 the size of a standard computer key is thin, and the actual part cut through to blood was just a pinpoint. But, that made it essentially a puncture type wound, with her walking on it and grinding in all sorts of stuff. It looks like it's oozing, but the the quantity is not enough for me to verify what it looks like. Not bright red, though, so I'm betting I caused an abscess.

So, what can I do to fix this? She's a bottle-raised doe, and is quite a pest about getting petted. If I need to hot-pack or soak her foot, I think I can do that without a problem. (If I'm wrong, then hubby gets to help!) I'm just not sure that's the right approach on a hoof. Is it? It's at the toe of the hoof, in case that makes a difference.

Thanks,
    Meg

2. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to hear about your doe. I don't have an answer for you and am curious how to treat this. I've made the pinholes myself & wondered if it could abscess on them(and of course I felt very bad about it!). I never treated them except for a dab of blood stop powder at the time. Good luck. Hopefully someone will be along shortly with a suggestion.

3. JR05

JR05 Well-Known Member

Regretfully I have done the same thing. So, I soak foot in epson salt warm water 2-3 in a row. If you have some of the green stuff I think it is Koppertox(?) put that on after soak, will seal the wound so bacteria can't get in, just be careful not to get it on you as it stains very badly.Give a shot of Banimine if foot is very tinder to the touch, this will help with the inflamation and pain,only for 2-3 days because it is rough on the kidneys. If not improved within 3 days then take her to a vet, as the abcess may need to be lanced. Hope this helps.

JR05

4. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Thanks for your help...I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only one who has done this! (Misery loves company)

Truly is now acting as if her foot were fine. I'm cleaning it off every day when I feed and checking it, but it seems to have resolved itself. Perhaps I was premature in assuming I caused an abscess. On the other hand, it could still form one, so I'm watching it. And I will be more careful in the future...including going back to check them all if I see blood...no matter how late that'll make me for work!

I hadn't thought about Koppertox for goats, thanks for the suggestion. And knowing that an epsom salt soak would be okay, too. I haven't had to deal with a foot problem before.

Thanks again. If it should flare back up, I'll post what it does, and what I do for it.

Meg