Foot on the clutch...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Pony, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

... and slowly sliding into first!

Today I picked two of those pesky yellow pear tomatoes (yes, I know... but I could not kill a volunteer, so I stuck it in a pot!), one red Homely Homer, 8 Hungarian Wax peppers, and a good 15 dill flowers.

Dill flowers are now in the freezer, yellow pear toms are in my tummy, peppers and single red tomato are on the counter to share with DH upon his return home.

It's starting!! It's starting!!!

I feel like a little kid at Christmas! :dance:

Now I have the strength and will to go dig SPUDS!!

Pony!

2. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

It's so fun, isn't it? My son and I picked our first batch of beans and sat under a tree and snapped them about 15 minutes ago. I made some refrigerator pickles this morning. Last night for supper we had soup made out of cabbage, scallop squash, shallots, garlic, tomatoes and celery from the garden. We also had a salad of fresh greens and carrots. Oh yeah...a mix of blackberries, black raspberries and red raspberries also graced our plates.

Tonight we'll eat the beans, a salad and a mizuna quiche featuring eggs from our good little chickens. I love this season!

3. Pony

Oh, yeah, this totally rocks! I just picked about 10 pounds of potatoes from my 6x3 straw potato test patch. That's probably not too much yield, but it was my first serious attempt, and I'm quite pleased.

I am consistently astounded by God's bounty, and His way of doing things. Tiny little seeds become HUGE plants that bear fruit for us to eat, to share, to put by for the winter months.

One of my favorite quotations is, "You can count how many seeds are in an apple, but not how many apples are in a seed."

It's such a joy to participate in the cycle of life and creation. :)

I'm looking forward to learning about chickens from Muller's this weekend. :dance:

Ah, the Circle of Stuff!

Pony!

4. DeAnn

DeAnn Well-Known Member

I'm jealous...all nine of my tomatoes died of some kind of wilt. So I am starting over from seed.

Now I have a question about freezing dill flower heads. How do you do this? I thought my only option was dill seed which I have a lot of, or dried dill weed. What do you do with them after frozen?

Congrats on your harvest,
    DeAnn

5. Pony

So sorry to hear about your loss! That really stinks! :( Like others have said, "If only we lived closer..."

With the dill, I just snip off the flower heads, drop them into a quart jar, and pop them into the freezer. When I'm ready to make pickles, I put however many flower heads I want into each jar.

I also use the leaves, but I just dry those in a paper bag, then store them in a jar.

Pony!

6. DeAnn

DeAnn Well-Known Member

Thank you! It's so simple. I figured the dill would turn to mush. Wow. I learned something new. Now I can have dill heads with the lemon cukes I planted...again. Mother Nature is not smiling on me!

Thanks again,
    DeAnn

7. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

It's my first year here and took a while to get the garden fenced. So I didn't get a lot of stuff up that didn't get trampled or eaten. But my one lemon cuke is growing crazy and starting to really crank out the cukes, and my one yellow squash?(prob a cross) is bearing more than we can eat already, even picking them tiny, and the tomatoes are coming on fast, so hope to start canning soon, and the melons are doing great! Now I've got to get more mulch and replant corn and beans and a few oddments for the late summer/fall garden.

8. Pony

Some years are just like that. Here I am, with my very best efforts to thwart those lousy cuc beetles, and I STILL have them.

Broke down and bought some Safe Home pyrethrin spray. Which helped a BIT but not enough. So I"m hand-picking and killing.

Also found another one of those lousy squash vine borers yesterday. Dug it out (oogy! I hate how they're all white except for their little black pin heads...), killed it, DE'd it, compost packed the base of the plant.

Some years, ya just can't win. But you almost always get something. :)

Pony!