Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every year I take in a full meal the day before Thanksgiving.

I've done it for the last 5 yrs so everyone is already talking about Weds 'delicious dinner'.:facepalm:

Honestly, my brain is blank on what to make this year. It has been a year of challenges for our family so my food creations have been rather plain & quick when it's just for home.

I want to make something that can either be kept in a crock pot or easily reheated since all of the employees eat in 1/2 hr shifts from 11am until 1:30pm then the evening crew between 3pm until 4:30pm.
Total employees eating will be 13 and two are teenaged males who really like to eat..

I am making gooey butter bars(chess bars) for dessert as well as a fruit & dip platter.

Any help on what to make for the actual meal would be much appreciated.

Oh, I should mention I work 9 & 1/2 hours tomorrow on a split shift, I've got doctors appointments most of Tues and will be going into work at 10am on Weds-the day of the meal.:hammer:

Thank you for sharing your ideas, I really, really need some inspiration this year.

·
Registered
811 Posts
That is a very generous undertaking to say the least.

How about a big old pot of chili? You can buy rolls to go with it. I wouldn't suggest making cornbread since you are already incredibly busy.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I think i would explain to everyone it was going to be a busy week and it was a potluck kind of day--everyone bring a dish. It is very thoughtful of you to do this every year but maybe it is time to let others share in the blessing of giving~:thumb:

·
Registered
108 Posts
A crockpot of chicken and dumplings? A crockpot of chili with Fritos, sour cream, and cheese for them to add as they like??

·
Registered
887 Posts
i would make a beef roast and a pork roast add gravy and a can of cream of mushroom soup cook until fork tender then add gravy/soup cook in crockpot serve with rolls and coleslaw

·
Registered
594 Posts
please ask everyone for help! don't make yourself sick trying to do it all. you have been a wonderful person to do this every year, but sometimes everyone needs a break.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,911 Posts
Some kind of crockpot stew or soup. Dump it in, turn it on type of recipe. Get some kind of rolls from the most convenient bakery. You spoil your co-workers! Next year, make it a pot luck. I feel it's a little too close to "d-day" to change it this year.

Reactions: Danaus29

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
I second the Chili.. I used to bring in about 5 gallons of chili once a year too.. It became the day everyone waited for.... totally scratch. Takes me a full day of cooking to make it.. .Always this time of the year too.. There was never left overs, and people wouldn't wait until lunch time..

Others would being in crackers, or shredded cheese, or onions or sour cream, or what ever else they could think of... It was a fun day.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I'm not crazy about substituting turkey for beef but one of the guys I work with always brings "Italian Beefless" to our potlucks. It is very good.

Turkey breast 6-10 pounds or as much of whatever parts you want to cook. He trims extra fat and neck skin.
Cook in crock pot on high for about 5 hours using your favorite Italian Beef recipe ingredients.
--Italian seasoning
--jar or less of pepperoncini and juice
--any other type of peppers to taste
--as much garlic as desired
--beef bouillon cubes
--an envelope of onion soup mix
--1 1/2 water or beer

You get the idea, nothing set in stone.

Remove turkey, debone and remove any other unwanted bits. Shred and return to crock with juice, seasonings and peppers. Serve with good rolls and more pepperoncini.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the suggestions! After reading your ideas, I think I'm going with either stew or chili. With either I can add a veggie platter and either rolls or crackers.

I don't mind doing this, I work with an incredible group of people who over the last 5 yrs have become my friends. When I had a medical crisis my boss (on my day off) drove me to the hospital and waited until we knew the outcome.
I am very blessed to have such a great group of friends supporting me through some rough times.

During the year, the ladies (9 of us) try to each do a meal/lunch for our fellow employees. One of the guys who happens to be 80 has a sweet wife who brings in homemade lasagna every June for all of us. :thumb:

This year, I just seemed to be running out of ideas and working a lot more hours.

Thank you all and keep the ideas coming! I have until Tues to figure it out then the cooking will begin after I get home from the doctors office. :D

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
What about a baked potato bar? You could bake potatoes in an electric turkey roaster.

For toppings you could do a crock pot of chilli, sour cream, shredded cheese, cubed ham, cooked bacon, broccoli in cheese sauce, etc. Most of this could all be done ahead of time.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I found this recipe online and it WORKS with a crock pot! The usual crock cooking times....3-4 on High, 5-7 on Low. Makes lots of sauce. We've added it to our regular rotation:

No Peek Casserole

2 -3 lbs stew meat

1 can Campbell's Chicken Mushroom Soup (if you can't find, use Cream of Mushroom alone)

1/2 cup Gingerale (the magic ingredient!)

1 pkg Lipton Onion Soup Mix

1 4 oz jar mushrooms, drained (optional)

Good additions: diced celery, carrots, green pepper

Preheat oven to 300*. Comebine ALL ingredients (DO NOT brown meat and DO NOT dilute soup with water) together. Mix well. It will be lumpy before it's cooked. Pour into a casserole dish and cover. Bake 2 1/2 to 3 hours. (Or 3-4 crockpot high, 5-7 low, which is how I did it). DON't PEEK!! Serve over pasta, rice or mashed potato. Works with bread or rolls too.

Good luck. Sounds like a great workplace!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts