Food thread

Discussion in 'Country Singletree' started by FarmboyBill, Apr 16, 2013.

1. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

I planted a wide row of lettuce, as I really like salid. It didnt come up. BUT I fine thick stand of Lambs uarter is comeing up in its stead. How can I make salid with it?

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Wash the leaves. Cut them up with your grandmas shears. Put them in a big bowl. Dice some sweet onions on top. Dice up two hard boiled eggs on top of that. Put diced sharp cheder cheese on that. Drizzle some poppyseed dressing over the top, and mix it all together with them big plastic forks you got at that yard sale, and always wondered what they were for.
    Now is time to gobble up some garden salad that will just plum tickle your innards.

plowhand and SimplerTimez like this.

3. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member

I have learned to make salad from a lot of different things, though I have never tried lamb's quarters!

I mostly just cut the leaves up and drizzle with salad dressing. If there are some cukes or peppers to cut up with them that is also good!

4. FarmboyBill

Grandma never had any shears that I new about. My onions are big enough to use. Believe it or not, Ive never boiled an egg, tho I got lots of them. What do i do, put them in a bowl and boil? Dont have any cheese, of any sort, Nor any poppyseed dressing, But I got lots of other dressing. I never buy ANYTHING plastic, so I got no big spoons.

OTHER THAN THAT. Im set lol

5. FarmboyBill

Thats getting closer Terri lol

6. mickm

mickm proud hillbilly

Just rinse with cold water and eat. young lambs quarter is tasty!

7. FarmboyBill

Well, its OK, but it aint great.
    NOW, in saying that, Last year I would strip leaves off of plants that were 3ft high thereabouts. I mixed them in with fried eggs, and it was OK.

I had a sneaky feeling that eating it had benifits for arthritis.

It might be alot better, it only around 4in tall.

8. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

Bill, put the eggs in cold water, and put them on the stove, boil about 10-15 minutes then cool the eggs

you can put a tiny bit of vinegar in the water in case some crack and it will keep the white from oozing out, theoretically. Ive never used it though

swamp man likes this.
  9. Terri

What shygal said.

I only boil eggs if I want deviled eggs. To devil eggs, you boil and shell them. Cut them in half and take out the yolk. Mix the yolk with a scant teaspoon of may and a touch of relish and a bit of salt. Mash it together and put it back in the egg white.

Really fresh boiled eggs can be hard to shell. I take the time to shell them because sometimes I get too many eggs, and if I turn them into deviled eggs the guys will eat them up!

10. FarmboyBill

I could eat your weight in deviled eggs, IF they got the red stuff I cant think of right now on top. Cinnimon? Now I can boil them. Im too lazy at cooking to devil them. Sides, I like them SUNNY side up.

How am I supposed to put a scant teaspoon of may in them, when its APRIL? lol.

IF you mean mayonaise, I dont have any. Hate da stuff.

11. Terri

MAYO! MAYO! MAYO!!!!!!!!

The red stuff is paprika, by the way.
    Oh, yes.

A lazier way to make deviled eggs would be to cut up the eggs and just stir in the mayo and the salt and relish and eat it with a spoon. I do not think the guys would eat that, though. They really CARE about the appearance of their food!

It tastes better if you let them sit for at least an hour to let the flavors mis.

Blast it, now I am HUNGRY! But if I eat a second dinner I will get fat!

Shygal likes this.
  12. lonelytree

lonelytree Well-Known Member

Bring eggs to rapid boil. Shut off heat. Put lid on pan. Timer at 12 minutes. When done run cold water over them until they are cool to the touch or colder.

SimplerTimez likes this.
  13. mickm

mickm proud hillbilly

Yep, and cut eggs before you shell them. then you can just kinda scoop each half out. you just kinda have to crack the shell first.

14. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Your deviled eggs will taste much better if you include a teaspoon of ballpark mustard in the mix..

Bill <> We used to call sissors shears. Did you have grandparents? I suppose you don't have a lid for your little pan to boil eggs in either.. You could use that metal pan you boil rice in.. Have you got any rice.? What is your average daily menu?? What do you cook?

swamp man and SimplerTimez like this.
  15. newfieannie

newfieannie newfieannie Supporter

mostly fried eggs as far as i've been able to figure out! Bill never seems to have much of anything in the house. i could never survive on it. maybe he eats out a lot. most of my friends eat 3 meals a day in restaurants and dont have a lot of food at home. ~Georgia.

16. FarmboyBill

UNC, IKF grandma had any sissors, and no doubt she did, Likely mom got them when she passed, which was in 48.
    I have got musturd tho

I had 6 eggs this morning.
    I have ten,tin cans of cream corn, peas, beans green and other different varities, Machroni, over 40 cans of tuna, oatmeal, pancakes.

I hardly ever eat oatmeal or pancakes, tho, in the dead of winter, such as it was, i had pancakes several times.

I N E V E R eat out.

I cant lose weight.

17. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

You wanting to lose weight, or just making a comment?

Mon

18. FarmboyBill

WANTING< wanting to lose weight. Easier on my ankles. One reason I hardly EVER eat meat. When I do, its usually cause they have it at the once a month, First Sunday Feed at Church.

19. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

Keep up with the calories you take in and expend. I know you aren't very computer literate but there are several really good food journaling sites on the internet. I personally use www.myfitnesspal.com They've done all the really hard work for you. Just look up the food, put how many servings you and and voila! it's added up for you. It also takes into account your activity level, age, weight and amount of weight you would like to lose weekly and gives you a daily calorie allowance that will help you get there. I've been using it since Feb and I really like it. I'm thinking eating 6 or more eggs every day really isn't as helpful as you may think.