Food Storage Locations

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ninn, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Mods, feel free to move if this is not the correct forum.

I am looking into the idea of using airtight tubs to store dry goods in, underneath my trailer. Things that will not be affected by freezing temps, like flour, sugar, salt, etc. I hate to see all that perfectly good storage space go to waste. What foods can I safely store under my home? I already have some tubs of off season clothing under there. Any other ideas would be welcomed. Thank you.

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

If those tubs will be under the trailer you'd best make sure they are rodent proof as well because you could have rats, squirrels, or even larger creatures trying to chew their way into those tubs to get to the food within.

.....Alan.

3. Dianol

Dianol Well-Known Member

The tubs also need to be air tight, otherwise they will be invaded by ants. Ask me how I know this....go ahead..I dare ya...just ask....LOL

Good luck

Dianne

4. ericjeeper

ericjeeper Well-Known Member

No way would I store any valuable food stuffs under a trailer. or in a crawlspace
    Just stack it under beds. cliamte control is better for stored foods anyhow

5. homesteadmama

homesteadmama Well-Known Member

I have seen a root cellar type of thing dug-out under one end of the trailer to use for food storage--similar to the root cellars you used to see dug out under kitchens in old farm houses. There was a trap door in the back bedroom that led directly to a wooden chute or "box" that connected the floor of the trailer to the trap door of the root cellar. The cellar itself was dugout, then framed in and the walls were thick plywood. The floor was cement. It also served as tornado protection. I know you are in a mobile home park situation, and this would not work right now--but I am always amazed at how creative people can be when given a situation that makes their imaginations work overtime! :) When I had 3 kids still at home and a small singlewide, two bedroom trailer, the park management said I could not add on a tipout, or another room--but then the manager looked at me and said--there isn't anything that says you can't have an enclosed porch though :D .....which was the answer to how I got that much needed room! I think if look for ways to obtain more storage space, with a totally open mind--even where you are at you can make it happen! Good luck to you!

6. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

My mother has a tough rubbermaid tub and the squirrels chew right through it NO PROBLEM. Be careful about storing foods like that under your MH.

7. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had dog food in a really heavy duty rubber storage drum and the little devils chewed in over night. Not to mention bugs. :eek:

8. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

OK, so food under the house is out. Grrrr. The under the bed space is already filled with BOB's and suitcases with out of season clothing that belongs to the person in that room. In DS's case, his bed currently sits directly on the floor until we can get or build a frame for it. (FYI-we are leaning toward building a platform higher than usual, specifically to use for storage space.) Thanks for all the advice.

9. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

Ninn,

do you have room anywhere for bookshelves? My grandparents lived for many years in a MH and their 'spare' bedroom was used more as a pantry than a bedroom. I used to sleep in there where I visited them, but I remember a single bed with a tall bookshelf on the wall at the end of the bed and that bookshelf is where grandma stored her surplus staples. I also remember the closet being full of food too!

10. margo

margo Well-Known Member

Is it affordable or feasible to construct a small block enclosure underneath which could be sealed up against rodents?

Or can you find steel drums clean or new, or perhaps a galvanized trash can to place your plastic containers in.??

Or invest in an aluminum truck tool box for same?
    What about a discarded refrigerator box?

Swap with a metal fabricator shop locally for a metal box (aluminum perhaps?)
    they may have enough odds and scraps to cobble something useful.
    Trade firewood for his shop, you get container made.
    hmmmmm...
    I just inspired myself.... :)

11. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I have found that the frosting buckets I get from the bakery to be animal proof. I fill them with dry kitty food and store them outside. Event the racoons have been unable to open them. But it's not one's average plastic container, the lid is a real doozy.

I have kept them outside in the back for the past few years and still have never had one opened by any animal.

12. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Try a chest for a coffee table.I have a cheap wicker one I use for a coffee table/storage.Smaller ones for end tables or short drums with a table cloth on them make nice end tables or night stands. My laundry room is full of shelves I even have one running over the top of the door.Look around and see where you could put a shelf.I have some shelves that fit on the doors that are perfect for can goods.You'll be surprised at the place you may find.My sister's uses big drums to hold up her table in the kitchen and her desk.Hope this helps with ideas.

13. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

You can make shelves and put them at the top of the walls all the way around each room. Amazing how much storage this will give you. Put them over the windows and doors, of course. I've used 1x12 boards and utility brackets. Painted the boards to look nice and used decent looking boxes or totes to put stuff in. My neighbor in CO did that in their mh and she took empty coffee cans and decorated them nice to put food in.

14. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

I would be slightly concerned about something that you might pack in a warm, humid space and then store in a cool place. For some things, this is fine. For something like flour, you may be discovering a recipe for moldy bricks.